Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tailgate ideas after removing spare carrier

Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep2007
Psc tramp stamp...Attachment 187072
I just ordered this but am rethinking my decision because I would rather not make any additional holes. I saw that OR-FAB is coming out with one that uses only the factory holes so maybe I will just wait....
Old 11-04-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Where can you get this plate for the tailgate? Anyone know?
I want one also, who knows where to get one???
Old 11-04-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to post up a picture of mine... I will snap one in a few minutes...
Old 11-04-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rancho
We just launched our rear tailgate cover as well.
One of the cool things is that the CB antenna/whip is included.

Good luck in your choice.
Where can you buy this?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Junkie

Here you go - the JeepSWAG plate painted to match along with a custom LED third brake light from CustomDynamics also with my new vinyl tinted IPCW tail lamps (I love them!)... and you can see my JK sticker in flat black on the passenger corner as well.

Running lights on only:

Brakes applied:

Last edited by IcyFridge; 11-04-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
Where can you buy this?
Nevermind found it!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gatewood
I bought a new jk tailgate and a new cj tailgate. had my body man cut the bubble off the jk tailgate and the logo off the cj gate and weld it in. he said it was tough because of all the reinforcement inside the jk gate for the carrier but he did a good job.
that is probably the coolest thing I've seen so far TOOLMAN's is not as cool but probably a bit cheaper. Either way that's AWESOME.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the OR-FAB carrier and OR-FAB tramp stamp with the TeraFlex cb mount. I sprayed the cb mount to match tramp stamp then covered all holes with caps from Ace Hardware. Caps are 53 cents a piece and come in a bunch of sizes. (they even work for the hood windshield bumpstops) I also sprayed the key hole mechanism and OR-FAB tire carrier backing plate or whatever it's called (couldn't handle the polished stuff) BTW~ I have keyless entry so that tailgate key entry is useless to me for those that think it might chip if I use it

Also, where the cb cable goes into tailgate, all I did was drill a hole in the cap I got from Ace Hardware and pull cable through it. I drilled a small enough hole that I could pull cable through but still be snug so no leaking

Last edited by Hskr4x4; 03-19-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hskr4x4
I have the OR-FAB carrier and OR-FAB tramp stamp with the TeraFlex cb mount. I sprayed the cb mount to match tramp stamp then covered all holes with caps from Ace Hardware. Caps are 53 cents a piece and come in a bunch of sizes. (they even work for the hood windshield bumpstops) I also sprayed the key hole mechanism and OR-FAB tire carrier backing plate or whatever it's called (couldn't handle the polished stuff) BTW~ I have keyless entry so that tailgate key entry is useless to me for those that think it might chip if I use it

Also, where the cb cable goes into tailgate, all I did was drill a hole in the cap I got from Ace Hardware and pull cable through it. I drilled a small enough hole that I could pull cable through but still be snug so no leaking
Dude - Nice job. That looks great. Did you just tape off the key hole thing and hit it with a can? Also, which paint did you use?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the spray

.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=367 Lowes and Home Depot carry for around $6

That paint is really easy to use and it's an identical match to the OR-FAB powdercoat

As for the key mechanism, all you have to do is open tailgate and pull off the vented plastic piece and you will see the key mechanism on bottom right. There you will see a metal rod that has a platic clip holding it in place. Just undo that clip and slide rod out of the clear round retainer and then pull mechanism from outside of tailgate. I barely scuffed the mechanism before spraying 3 coats on it. (further away that you spray the more textured it is) When re-installing the mechanism MAKE SURE you slide the rod back through the clear round retainer before snapping on the rod clip.

Fyi's~

When using this spray, it is very easy to fix any blemishes or runs. Make sure you have a microfiber on hand when spraying because all you need to do is lightly dab any runs or things of that nature to fix. Also on the next coat will fix anything you usually find not up to par.

The mechanism takes all of 30 seconds to pull out and a tad over that to put back in.

I sprayed the backing plate for carrier before installing

BEST WAY to spray the key mechanism or any bolt head is to find a box and either cut or drill small hole to slide the piece in so only the top that you are spraying is showing. That will make it so it's easy to spray and things like that.

I let they spray cure about 5-10 minutes between coats (just set box out in sun)

Simple touch-ups... Just spray that bed liner spray in corner of cardboard box and dab fine paint brush in it and lightly touch up any spots on anything you spray. (will dry and match)

Last edited by Hskr4x4; 03-20-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Tailgate ideas after removing spare carrier