Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tailgate Hinges

Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matador
Anybody having a sale on the Teraflex Carrier? I have been looking at this a little more and this might be the way to go. I am in Canada but really close to the border...so I would just have it shipped to the USA address then just pick it up
Just so you know it's $570 PLUS 13% tax which sucks so like $645 shipped to your door from Stan at Northridge Canada..... Wonder if 2 or 3 of us bought one if it would be cheaper.... I'm debating now between the TERAFLEX and the Smittybilt XRC bumper and tire carrier.

Last edited by robsjeep9; 10-13-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Just so you know it's $570 PLUS 13% tax which sucks so like $645 shipped to your door from Stan at Northridge Canada..... Wonder if 2 or 3 of us bought one if it would be cheaper.... I'm debating now between the TERAFLEX and the Smittybilt XRC bumper and tire carrier.
If I buy it...I'm buying from the USA...free shipping and no tax if you buy online...I just have hop over the bridge. I'm 45min from the border and have a Nexus card . Maybe we can get a deal from someone state side if we but 2. I could pick them up. I think I might do this and that way I can run any bumper I want.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I buy it...I'm buying from the USA...free shipping and no tax if you buy online...I just have hop over the bridge. I'm 45min from the border and have a Nexus card . Maybe we can get a deal from someone state side if we but 2. I could pick them up. I think I might do this and that way I can run any bumper I want.
I'll PM you
Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't understand why everyone is so excited about the Teraflex carrier, way overpriced.

If I was going to spend $600+ I would just get a rear bumper/carrier combo.

I guess it makes sense if you must have a rear bumper from a company that doesn't make a tire carrier.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suicideking
I don't understand why everyone is so excited about the Teraflex carrier, way overpriced.

If I was going to spend $600+ I would just get a rear bumper/carrier combo.

I guess it makes sense if you must have a rear bumper from a company that doesn't make a tire carrier.
The problem is if you buy a $600 rear bump and tire carrier you will be wishing you didn't! I went Down that road and it made me sick! Cool concept and get a minimalist bumper for $350 and you have a nice setup. To someone's point in the thread, isn't it the welds that hold the hinges on that sag and not the physical hinge itself? Need more info
Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stepsride

The problem is if you buy a $600 rear bump and tire carrier you will be wishing you didn't! I went Down that road and it made me sick! Cool concept and get a minimalist bumper for $350 and you have a nice setup. To someone's point in the thread, isn't it the welds that hold the hinges on that sag and not the physical hinge itself? Need more info
I get it. Go to the website and watch the video. I stand corrected
Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Stepsride
Yeah, I realize there aren't a lot of combo choices for $600. I'm just saying that for $1000 you can get a quality bumper with tire carrier. If you pay $600 for just the Teraflex carrier, you're still likely to pay $500+ for a rear bumper. So Why not just get the combo and save some money?

I took the cheap way out for now -- I bought the Smitty tire carrier for $120 because I have other mods I need to do right now. I'll eventually get a permanent solution. If I had the money now, I'd probably get the LOD rear bumper/carrier combo.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Y'all tell me what you think. I had an over size wheel/tire on my stock carrier when I bought my jeep. The rivets are mostly gone on the inside of the tailgate. The tailgate was making all kinds of noise and driving me crazy. I replaced the stock carrier with an OR Fab tire carrier. The noise improved, but it still rattles too much. I tried the electrical tape, and the Striker and latch seem to be in the right position.
Here is my idea: what if I filled the inside of the tailgate with expanding foam insulation? Do you think that would quiet things down? May be a ridiculous thought but I am out of ideas to fix it!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

The Teraflex replaces the stock hinges which in my case are shot....too much play...that is what causing the rattle...i can see the whole tailgate and tire shake and rattle when I hit a bump.

I was against the Teraflex cause I thought it was overpriced but here is my thought. I only need to HD Hinged product as I will reuse my stock carrier...it will support 35's. So I can spend $150 to replace my stock hinges then go buy a bumper and tire carrier, however most of the tire carriers dont swing open with the tailgate. So I can run this Teraflex hinged carrier ($499) which will completely solve the rattle it will allow me to run my 35" tire and will also allow me to run any bumper I want without having to worry about finding a rear bumper I like that opens with tailgate.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

The Teraflex replaces the stock hinges which in my case are shot....too much play...that is what causing the rattle...i can see the whole tailgate and tire shake and rattle when I hit a bump.

I was against the Teraflex cause I thought it was overpriced but here is my thought. I only need to HD Hinged product as I will reuse my stock carrier...it will support 35's. So I can spend $150 to replace my stock hinges then go buy a bumper and tire carrier, however most of the tire carriers dont swing open with the tailgate. So I can run this Teraflex hinged carrier ($499) which will completely solve the rattle it will allow me to run my 35" tire and will also allow me to run any bumper I want without having to worry about finding a rear bumper I like that opens with tailgate.
Sounds like a good solution. It's a quality product, I just wish they would lower the price on it to make it less expensive if I wanted to get it + a rear bumper. As it is now, it's less expensive to get a combo.

LOD makes 2 bumpers (full width and stubby) that have integrated carriers that open with the door. Check those out. Might be less expensive to do it your way though since you'll probably need to replace the hinges.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Hinges