Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tailgate drop down conversion?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate drop down conversion?

Does anyone make a tailgate drop down conversion kit? I have elliminated my spare tire and I would like my tailgate to drop down similar to a pick-up truck tailgate but i can't seem to find a comversion kit. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I would like a spare tire carrier to mount in the cargo area that i can remove and install easily so I can take my spare with me when I want to.

Any pictures of either of these would help as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bully17
Does anyone make a tailgate drop down conversion kit? I have elliminated my spare tire and I would like my tailgate to drop down similar to a pick-up truck tailgate but i can't seem to find a comversion kit. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I would like a spare tire carrier to mount in the cargo area that i can remove and install easily so I can take my spare with me when I want to.

Any pictures of either of these would help as well.

Thanks in advance.
yep. I think SWAG has one.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't think it's on his site, I think he was working on a conversion.Might have to call. http://www.4xfix.com/

Last edited by mkjeep; 09-04-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rballman
yep. I think SWAG has one.
Swag offroad makes it.. its featured on their homepage.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Humph, Guess somebody beat Woods to it. He's always makin conversion and add on stuff.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.swagoffroad.com/JK_Tail_Gate.html

how do the cover the passenger side latch, or do they do without?

Anybody done one of these yet?

Last edited by Robar; 09-14-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 09-14-2009, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

hmmm. just looking at it makes me wonder what holds the upper right side tight to the body. I can see how it uses the existing latch for the left isde but I would think the right might move after the hinges loosen up over time.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jshell73
hmmm. just looking at it makes me wonder what holds the upper right side tight to the body. I can see how it uses the existing latch for the left isde but I would think the right might move after the hinges loosen up over time.
My point exactly. With all the cosmetic uglies afterwards (empty holes and hinge recesses left on the original tailgate, it might be just better to fabricate something with sheet metal and square tubing. At least with fresh sheet metal you could use what ever kind of handle, or two on each side for that matter. The more I thnk about using two JK tailgate handles on each side might look the business, and offer the strength needed.

Imagine how loose the body will become after years of flex. You need a latch on each side.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

curious to know why you want it to open that way. thats alot of work for an extra seat when parked, you know you don't really need a tail gate to go "tail-gatting"
Old 09-14-2009, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jshell73
X 2 on that i was designing one myself had pretty much the same design but the right side was bouncing all over and will all the work i have been doing have not had time to do any more designing on it

Quick Reply: Tailgate drop down conversion?