Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tailgate Bump Stops

Old 04-13-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate Bump Stops

I just got done installing my new Body Armor rear bumper with tire carrier. The directions said to cut down the bump stops to fit between the tailgate and tire carrier, which I did. When I took it out for a ride, I noticed a lot of noise coming from the back end. After playing with everything, and re tightening everything, I decided to pull my bump stops out. No more noise.

My question is do I realy need to have those in there? It seems to me that the locking mechanism and the pivot point are locked in and should keep the carrier from hitting the door. But I dont want to put un due stress on the carrier by not having them.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anybody.........?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I would say that if you don't have any vibrations from your carrier then you would be fine. Just keep an eye on it, if it starts to vibrate in the future then I'd go back with some tailgate stops.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinc
I just got done installing my new Body Armor rear bumper with tire carrier. The directions said to cut down the bump stops to fit between the tailgate and tire carrier, which I did. When I took it out for a ride, I noticed a lot of noise coming from the back end. After playing with everything, and re tightening everything, I decided to pull my bump stops out. No more noise.

My question is do I realy need to have those in there? It seems to me that the locking mechanism and the pivot point are locked in and should keep the carrier from hitting the door. But I dont want to put un due stress on the carrier by not having them.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
was the noise you were hearing a knocking or a squeaking? if was a knocking, more than likely, your bumpstops weren't pushing hard enough on the tire carrier and that allowed for movement to occur. if you were hearing a squeaking, could be that you had too much pressure on the tire carrier and that was causing your tailgate gasket to squeak. optimally, you want there to be pressure on your tire carrier and if you aren't getting enough pressure, you most likely cut too much off the isolators. you can get daystar replacement isolators to help fix this problem.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Bump Stops