Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tailgate armor

Old 05-29-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate armor

Has anyone installed the Warrior tailgate armor. I have removed my spare, and want to cover the tailgate holes and screw holes, and noticed the Warrior armor that was available. My only concern is I would have to drill holes in the tailgate to mount the armor, and I am wondering how water stays from behind the armor. I don't need a premature rusting issue. If anyone has this on their rigs, please let me know if your happy with it or not.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

i don't have it, but I was looking into it as well, I see that it is 2 pieces, if you are just trying to cover up where the tire carrier was then they should just use a couple of the existing holes and bolt it up. I am not entirely sure how it works either.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I ordered just the CENTER armor from Warrior. I am hoping it gets delivered today. It uses the existing holes from the spare tire carrier to mount it to the tailgate.

If you are talking about covering the ENTIRE tailgate ... well the install information says DRILLING REQUIRED.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The holes you area talking about covering help your AC fan work properly and allow you to easily shut the doors if you have a hard top. basically those vents are where the pressure escapes.....no big deal if you never run a hard top but if you do run the hard top you might reconsider this mod...
Old 05-29-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by brent_f70
The holes you area talking about covering help your AC fan work properly and allow you to easily shut the doors if you have a hard top. basically those vents are where the pressure escapes.....no big deal if you never run a hard top but if you do run the hard top you might reconsider this mod...
The armor is vented.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by dmhines
The armor is vented.

that looks nice to me. I don't care much for the diamond plate, but the flat steel looks nice.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

I ordered the flat set to go with my AEV corners....
Old 05-29-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

DM, who did you order the center section from? and how much? Also did you get the center with the 3rd brake light grommet?
Old 05-30-2009, 09:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by uaredone
DM, who did you order the center section from? and how much? Also did you get the center with the 3rd brake light grommet?
Mikes Off Road was able to order the the flat black center for me and had it dropped shipped straight from Warrior. It arrived Friday and looks great. When I ordered I didn't mention anything about a 3rd brake light. It has four holes for mounting it to 4 of the original spare tire carrier holes ... and of course has the vented area in the center - exactly like picture above.

I didn't like the looks of the Warrior 3rd brake light so I picked up a Small LED brake light from Walmart and will install tomorrow. I also felt the Warrior license plate bracket is too expensive so I picked up a cheap license plate light as well. I've already figured out how I plan on mounting everything and will install it all tomorrow.

I'll post pics when done ....

Last edited by dmhines; 05-30-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

Can't wait to see the pics.....

Quick Reply: Tailgate armor