Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tactile feel from turning rear axle - is this bad?

Old 09-11-2016, 10:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tactile feel from turning rear axle - is this bad?

Hey all - I have a 2008 JK rubicon. I had it re-geared to 5.38's, and was doing the rear brakes this weekend and noticed something, and wondered if it was normal or not?

With the tires off both sides (and even with the calipers off), if I turn the hub, I can feel the gears meshing in the diff. Kind of like a click click click *feel*, but not really noisy, though there is some audible to it... The jeep drives fine, and I don't hear any unusual noises from the diff (clicking/popping, etc). Is that normal? I don't really want to take the diff cover off & associated fun with diff oil if I don't need to, but I don't have enough experience to know if this is normal or not, or if it should be totally smooth?

Thank you for your help - I appreciate it!

-randy
Old 09-19-2016, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone? 😉
Old 09-19-2016, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

100% normal
Old 09-19-2016, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your diffs do have drain plugs so it's not that big a deal.
When was the last time the oil was changed ? Was it changed after the gear swap?
Not that big of a deal to check if you are unsure or you will always be wondering.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Your diffs do have drain plugs so it's not that big a deal. When was the last time the oil was changed ? Was it changed after the gear swap? Not that big of a deal to check if you are unsure or you will always be wondering.
......but gear oil stinks, ew.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, all - gear oil has >5k on it, and yes, I changed it after rehearing break in and again when putting lube lockers on it. If the feel is normal, I will put my paranoia back to bed and move on... 😉

Quick Reply: Tactile feel from turning rear axle - is this bad?