Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

T2 bike rack

Old 03-17-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T2 bike rack

Today I tried the Thule/Sportworks T2 bike rack on. It worked with the stock bumper and spare tire spacer a month ago.

Well, it will work with the Mopar bumper and tire swing but.... I couldnt fold the rack up and out of the way, when not in use. And when the rack is in the down position it hits the spare tire. I had to really force it to click in the down position. It even pushed in the tire a little.

The rack was really pushing on the tire. It would work but I didnt like it.

Cant fold it up. The latch will hit the tire before it locks

I went to the local shop and found a 7" extension for $39. Now, I can fold the rack up and the rack does not hit the tire. The spacer doesnt have a anti-rattle piece like the rack does so it is a little loose. Im going to order a anti-rattle pin so it doesnt make noise for $22 and it will be here Thurs. Ill post more pics later.

7" extension on

Folded up

Bikes on. It sticks out a ways. I dont think I would want to run the 4 bike rack, but I have seen it done.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Great solution. I just got this rack and I was disappointed that I could not fold up the rack or get into the tailgate. Can you now open the tailgate when the rack is in the down position or does the tire still get in the way?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

I am going to have a drop stinger made so I can open the back. As of right now I can open the back a ways but not all the way. Get a 12" extension and you will be able to open the back up a little to get stuff in the back.
I need a 4" drop and a 7-8" extension. Ill post more pics once I get one.

Last edited by kntr; 04-09-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

Well, its done. I got a drop/extension so I could fold the rack up and also get in the back with the rack on. It turned out pretty good. The drop extension is made by Roadmaster $100.

Rack down and ready for bikes.

Rack folded up.

Rack in down position so I can still load stuff in the back. The tire clears by a few inches.

Last edited by kntr; 04-16-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

kntr- what's a anti-rattle piece? I have an extension but hate using it because i'm worried the pin is going to snap.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by redWRANGLER
kntr- what's a anti-rattle piece? I have an extension but hate using it because i'm worried the pin is going to snap.

Get a good pin or bolt and you will have no problems.

The anti-rattle piece makes it so the extension doesnt make noise moving around inside the hitch. The T2 has a anti-rattle bolt to prevent this. On the T2 its the bolt on top that you tighten to make it tight. Then the rack is quiet. I needed something else to stop the rattle between the extension and hitch. I use the Boone anti-rattle piece. It works ok. It stops the side to side movement but not the up and down.

Last edited by kntr; 04-18-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:43 PM
JK Junkie

I got my extension. I can finally carry 4 bikes and one inside.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kntr
I got my extension. I can finally carry 4 bikes and one inside.

That looks crazy, is that stable?
Old 06-13-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bosox5
That looks crazy, is that stable?
Barely moves. Tons of bikers have this rack and carry 4 bikes. I did have to run a drop extension to be able to fold the rack and get into the back. Worked great today on our 50 mile trip with some moderate off roading.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kntr
Barely moves. Tons of bikers have this rack and carry 4 bikes. I did have to run a drop extension to be able to fold the rack and get into the back. Worked great today on our 50 mile trip with some moderate off roading.

Sweet!

Quick Reply: T2 bike rack