Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

which synthetic winch line....

Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which synthetic winch line....

I'm making the change to synthetic winch line, which size do I need to run with????

From what I understand the steel cable I have was rated at 10,000 lbs and a 5/16 synthetic line is rated at 12,500.....the 3/8 has a higher rating but a much higher pice also....

So can I get away with running the 5/16 line and not run into issues...
Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Call Dave at Northridge. He will answer your question and sell you what you need..
Old 02-19-2011, 12:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

A little more info would help. What brand of winch do you have and what is the rated max pull? If the cable was rated at 10Klbs then it was 5/16" thick right? I also just switched to synthetic line about a week ago. I have an M8000 and it had a 5/16" cable on it. I decided to go with 3/8" for the added strength. I had to go with 85' instead of the 100' to make sure I wouldn't have any problems with fitment.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK44M
A little more info would help. What brand of winch do you have and what is the rated max pull? If the cable was rated at 10Klbs then it was 5/16" thick right? I also just switched to synthetic line about a week ago. I have an M8000 and it had a 5/16" cable on it. I decided to go with 3/8" for the added strength. I had to go with 85' instead of the 100' to make sure I wouldn't have any problems with fitment.
I swapped my M8000 over to synthetic about two years ago and based on reputation I went with Viking. The customer service at Viking is second to none. Every time I have called them I get to speak to Thor, he answers the phone himself and will spend however long on the phone is needed to answer your questions. He recommended 3/8" as well and also that I go with 85' to keep the wraps down and the torque up. I purchased a spare extension to make up the difference for those really long pulls. I will say that I bought the line for the "cool" factor; there was nothing wrong with my steel cable and fairlead but I wanted something different. It looks really killer and I always get questions about it. However, it does have it's limitations as I found out during a recovery last spring. It will break very, very easily if subjected to a sharp corner and the entire conversation that evening was that a steel cable wouldn't have reacted the same way.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by softdraw

... However, it does have it's limitations as I found out during a recovery last spring. It will break very, very easily if subjected to a sharp corner and the entire conversation that evening was that a steel cable wouldn't have reacted the same way.
And that's why I run steel.

I had at length conversations with management at Warn about this while researching an article I wrote. The 20 year veterans at Warn described different scenarios and the pros & cons of each.

Based on the terrain I wheel in the northeast, steel was my choice. Snapping a synthetic line because it came into contact with an object during a pull, with you & your jeep hanging by a thread, seemed to be a real possibility, albeit a worse case scenario.

Quick Reply: which synthetic winch line....