Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Synthetic Rope Fairlead

Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Rope Fairlead

I have a Warn XD9000i winch. I want to get a synthetic line. Any suggestions regarding a Fairlead? There are too many choices for me. I think I am leaning toward a black one but polished aluminum is not out of the running.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you haven't run your steel rope through your existing roller fairlead before, i would just keep using it. contrary to what some may suggest - it is okay to do.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just replaced the steel rollers with poly - that was the best for me - front license tag and all!

Last edited by road_king; 04-14-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I have the Shrockworks Hawse fairlead. It is black anodized aluminum.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:21 AM
JK Freak

That looks pretty cool. I like the black fairlead on black bumper
Old 04-15-2010, 04:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you haven't run your steel rope through your existing roller fairlead before, i would just keep using it. contrary to what some may suggest - it is okay to do.
X2 And as Road King said, if you have run steel, just replace the rollers with delrin rollers. Viking offers them. The whole hawse vs roller thing doesn't make much sense. Rollers = less friction. Synth line hates friction. As far as the line getting caught in the rollers, if it's at that much of an angle you're already doing it wrong. That's why you carry a snatch block.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

syn-line is expensive - mud/rocks will scar metal rollers and IMO wear syn-line faster.

protect your investment and go with a synthetic fairlead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	19729.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	60789

Originally Posted by JKChuck
I have a Warn XD9000i winch. I want to get a synthetic line. Any suggestions regarding a Fairlead? There are too many choices for me. I think I am leaning toward a black one but polished aluminum is not out of the running.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by seer1
X2 And as Road King said, if you have run steel, just replace the rollers with delrin rollers. Viking offers them. The whole hawse vs roller thing doesn't make much sense. Rollers = less friction. Synth line hates friction. As far as the line getting caught in the rollers, if it's at that much of an angle you're already doing it wrong. That's why you carry a snatch block.
that's what i did - i replaced my rollers with viking delrin.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Default shout out to WOL

WOL - thanks for all your advice and hard work providing one of the best forums on the web. I've seen a lot of Chevy, Ford, other forums out there and this one has the most comprehensive and step by step (with photos = awesome) write up guides that help idiots like myself do the work.

recently your write-up on rockrawler tie-rod install and setting caster to 5+ saved me and my rig a lot of hassle. my jeep rides like stock again! thanks again and keep up the great work!

(sorry to steal the thread!)

Originally Posted by wayoflife
that's what i did - i replaced my rollers with viking delrin.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Rope Fairlead