Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

synthetic or cable winch?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand a rope on a $500 winch being a POS, my line cost more than that whole winch (master pull).
Old 05-12-2012, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way wood i have my jeep rely on a rope in a bad spot naw
Old 05-12-2012, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gunbo75
No way wood i have my jeep rely on a rope in a bad spot naw
I am thinking you have never used synthetic rope before.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronin2120
I think it's funny that the Warn rep gave you those reasons why they don't spool synthetic line on there winches. My warn winch just came in with their Spydura synthetic line on it. I agree with most of you it's simply a matter of preference...
Just take a look at how many of Warn's winches come with Spydura line (I counted 6 models) and how many come with cable (I counted 19). thats a 3 to 1 advantage for the cable. And also realize at the time that the comment was made they only had one winch with synthetic line 9.0 RC that is designed to be used at rock crawling contests where safety is a big concern.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

my brother has a 1970 gmc 3/4 ton truck with the original ramsey winch from the factory and it still has the original steel cable on it we've used the piss out of this winch for the 30 plus years hes owned the truck . from dragging boulders to pulling trees down to pulling just about anything you can tie a winch too. hes loaded the bed full of rocks for counter weight and has pulled big trees down . so needless to say i have steel cable on mine i wouldnt want my life or my jeep dependant on a rope . but to each his own
Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

We pull(slide,tug,yank) 40 to 60 tons at work and only use synthetic rope. We no longer use chain or cable for safety reasons. A synthetic rope has a higher rating then the same size in cable. Look up amsteel on you tube.

Quick Reply: synthetic or cable winch?