Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

synthetic or cable winch?

Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the rugged ridge 8500lbs winch with synthetic rope, cost me under $500 shipped and hasn't let me down yet.
It doesn't need to be expensive ...
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
And of course it is not as strong as steel.
Most synthetic lines have a higher tensile strength that steel.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Synthetic is stronger and lighter, but can fray if dragged across rocks. Is safer when it breaks

Steel is more durable, but heavier and more dangerous when it breaks.

Don't think either one is better. it's a matter of preference and usage.

Most people hook their steel cable to one of the d-rings on their front bumper. The point at which it bends at the fairlead is the weakest point on the cable, and the most likely spot for it to break. Over time it will fatigue where it is bent.

Synthetic will need to be replaced sooner, and should be kept out of the sun so a winch cover makes sense.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would have to say it depends on what type of wheeling you do most.
If you play in the mud, I would go with the wire cable because the mud, sand, and dirt will abraid the synthetic line and cause it to fail if you don't wash it out and clean it good. Also the synthetic line is effected by UV rays.
If you play in the rocks, I would go with a wire cable too because it can take more rock contact than a synthetic line can. synthetic lines seem to break anytime they are used around rocks, in my experiance.
If you mall crawle mostly and are worried about the weight, then go for the synthetic.
Last year I talked to the sales rep for Warn Winches at the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab about synthetic lines and he flat out said there is a reason we don't put synthetic lines on most of our winches, because they don't last and they are maintanice intensive and they don't take the heat very well either. Which means if you use the winch on long pulls the drum will heat up which isn't good for the synthetic line.
they wire cable on my 8274 is the same one that came with it in the early 80's and was used for many years logging. the only wire cable that I've seen break is from when they attached the hook back on the line and caused a kink in the cable.

As far as the licnese plate goes there's a few options out there to mount it to the bumper. I've seen alot of people just put it on the bottom of the fairlead and push it backwards forming it around the bumper. my guess is that if they get hassled about it they say something like I was out wheeling and it just got pushed back and I haven't straitened it back out.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Who here has seen steel snap by chance? I haven't (yet) and I wheel a lot.
Again personal choice.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah

Having trouble visualizing this. Does the license plate cover the hawse fairlead, then you remove the plate and bracket when you need to winch?
Will his work with standard roller-type fairleads for steel cable?
Thanks for any clarification
Look here... http://www.quadratec.com/products/12109_0912.htm
Old 05-11-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Freak

Synthetic any time, specially if you are using your winch, far better handling !!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Synthetic all the way. It only takes one errant snapping back metal cable to change your life.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rancho
Again personal choice.
Who here has seen someone get their hand caught on a stray wire while pulling a cable back into a winch?

I have!!!

I've never heard a grown man scream like that.

Sounds like fun? Wire catches on glove starts to suck hand into fair lead, punctures glove and runs 3' of cable thru said hand while pinning hand to bumper.

I use synthetic.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rancho
Again personal choice.
2x in 20 years...more importantly, I spent a career in the Navy and have seen many lines part... the amount of energy released is beyond comprehension. For me, its like pointing a weapon at someone, sure its safe and there is no round in the chamber, and the safety is on, and my finger isn't on the trigger...but the what if is a real bitch.

Quick Reply: synthetic or cable winch?