Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Synergy Drag Link help!

Old 07-03-2018, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synergy Drag Link help!

Hello all!
I recently purchased a synergy Drag Link for my 2013 2 door Wrangler jk sport. Installed it today and noticed my tire would turn all the way to the right soi re adjusted the ball joints on the drag Link and I noticed the drag Link wasn't long enough for the steering wheel to stay straight and fully be able to turn the wheel. I have a 6 inch lift and I was reading that I need a high steer setup is this true? Do they not make aftermarket draglinks the same length as the stock draglink? I never had this problem until I installed the synergy and I am quite confused. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

6" is a lot of lift man. You should definitely be running high steer, on top of a big list of other things. Buy some high steer knuckles and flip the drag link. You'll need to raise the front track bar mount at the same time. The aftermarket draglinks do adjust to the same lengths as stock.

Out of curiosity, what size tires are you running?

Last edited by BoraBora; 07-03-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BoraBora
6" is a lot of lift man. You should definitely be running high steer, on top of a big list of other things. Buy some high steer knuckles and flip the drag link. You'll need to raise the front track bar mount at the same time. The aftermarket draglinks do adjust to the same lengths as stock.

Out of curiosity, what size tires are you running?
Im running 35 inch tires and I just adjusted it again and it did fit but the ball joints are literally fully extended and I can't get the draglink to tighten. Also I was told I have a six inch lift the jeep was lifted before I bought it.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

So, you're saying that the synergy adjustable draglink, when extended to its maximum length, is 'shorter' than the stock draglink. Correct?

And yes, at that height, you should be considering a draglink flip / high steer to flatten the steeper angles on the trackbar and draglink. But, since we have no idea what lift is on it, or what specific components are actually installed ...
Old 07-03-2018, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
So, you're saying that the synergy adjustable draglink, when extended to its maximum length, is 'shorter' than the stock draglink. Correct?

And yes, at that height, you should be considering a draglink flip / high steer to flatten the steeper angles on the trackbar and draglink. But, since we have no idea what lift is on it, or what specific components are actually installed ...
So I adjusted it and it fit but it won't tighten and the drag Link is super loose I'm going to take pictures tomorrow of my setup.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I am very confused what you're saying won't tighten?? That Synergy DL has a jam nut on one end, and an adjusting sleeve with a pinch bolt on the other end. You're saying you can't tighten either the jam nut or the small pinch bolt on the sleeve end? When you say it is "super loose", what are you referring to? Just that it flops around? It's supposed to have movement for misalignment. You should be able to take your hand and twist it back and forth a bit.

Also, the synergy DL can be mounted in both factory or flipped positions, so in order to do a high steer/flip, you'd just need a raised TB bracket, drill the knuckle a bit, and use a sleeve in the knuckle to account for the taper on the DL stud. I'm with Bora Bora......with a 6" lift you likely have a host of issues.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Recipe= Disaster
- Add a 6inch lift
- Add a dash of high clearance fenders
- Don't add any steering correction components and highly likely other suspension components
- Mount 35in tires
- Sell Jeep to someone who doesn't know any better
- Mix well and run away and let some other poor sap try to digest the half-assed recipe mess you just created.

WOW!!!
Definitely, take some pictures of the suspension that is there and post. Looking at those FOX shocks, that may be the Mopar 4in lift which should have come with a high steer kit if it is. A pic of the shocks would help to confirm, since they will additionally have a Mopar label on them. Also take a picture of the Drag Link you removed. That may actually be a part of the Mopar high steer kit that you ended up removing, thus the problem you're now experiencing. I'm guessing if it's the Mopar 4in lift, that when installed on a 2 door JK, may actually give close to 6inches of actual lift.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-04-2018 at 04:26 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

In addition to the the stuff suggested above, take a few measurements and let us know what you get. See the attachment for where to measure. Basically, the measurements below are the stock lengths (SL)... so if you measure the same points (YL)... then take the difference (YL minus SL) that will be your actual lift height. Six inches of lift is a LOT of lift.. heck, I know folks running 4-5" and clear 40s... with 35s, you could be running 2.5" of lift and solve a whole bunch of problems you likely don't know you have.

Quick Reply: Synergy Drag Link help!