Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Synergy drag link flip and ball joint question

Old 05-21-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synergy drag link flip and ball joint question

Question for the hive.

After installing a drag link flip/high steer kit and ball joints, did you get more body roll? How long did the ball joints take to wear in? I'm getting the darty wander.

We did a lot of work at once. Should have have done it in stages to localize effects. Added Artec full armor kit with high steer bracket. Also added Synergy draglink, ball joints, track bar bracket and sector shaft brace. We swapped out the sway bar links to pull the bar ends back closer to level. With the MetalCloak links, the bar ends were way too high. Still getting more roll than I had before. I'm getting it aligned to see if that helps with the wander. Just curious what others have experienced.

Thanks All.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much lift do you have?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I've got a very similar setup on my steering. I noticed you didn't say anything about upgrading or adjusting your tie rod. The stock ones get trashed pretty fast on the trail and will cause your jeep to wander.

I know it's basic stuff, but did you grease the Ball Joints heavily? I had one that didn't get the amount of grease it needed and never felt right until I replaced it few months later after some death wobble.

You really want to get everything (especially your control arms) aligned if you have not yet after all that work.

In terms of body roll, if you went from the stock arms to aftermarkets with longer sway bars, ya you will see some more body roll over stock. I have adjustable shocks that I turn up the compression rates to help decrease on-road body roll.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Running the MetalCloak 3.5. It drove awesome before the change. Still rides great but steering is flighty and have more body roll.

Nothing done to tie rod yet.

Yep, everything is well greased. It's getting aligned now. Will report results.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by Wightmn
It's getting aligned now. Will report results.
Let us know how it goes. Hopefully the alignment is all that's needed.

I highly recommend a synergy tie rod while you are at all those steering upgrades.

One thing I recall some people do forget is to use the tapered sleeve for your drilled out knuckle included with your flipped drag link.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Was a rear raised trackbar bracket added as well? What is the caster at? Are the trackbar and draglink still roughly parallel? Were new tires added at the same time? If taller coils were installed at the same time, were all bolts torqued on the ground under vehicle weight, or while in the air?

Body roll was reduced for me after adding both front and rear raised trackbar brackets.

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-21-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Was a rear raised trackbar bracket added as well? What is the caster at? Are the trackbar and draglink still roughly parallel? Were new tires added at the same time? If taller coils were installed at the same time, were all bolts torqued on the ground under vehicle weight, or while in the air?

Body roll was reduced for me after adding both front and rear raised trackbar brackets.
Got it aligned. Drives straight. Haven't had it on the highway yet.

Rear was already high due to metalcloak kit.
Track and drag bars are parallel
Caster is 4.8

Yep, everything is tight.

I'm comparing how it drove before the truss and high steer kit. It had less body roll. The high steer kit was supposed to improve handling, cut down on steering box stress and decrease roll. Hence my question. Still haven't tracked it down. Will keep at it.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wightmn
Added Artec full armor kit with high steer bracket. Also added Synergy draglink, ball joints, track bar bracket and sector shaft brace....
Did you add a frame-side TB bracket as well? I'm confused by your post.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drag link flip and raising the front track bar 3" should decrease body roll as you are raising the roll center. Hopefully you already added a track bar bracket to the rear to raise it up too.

Set your castor.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
Did you add a frame-side TB bracket as well? I'm confused by your post.
No he didn't, he added the synergy track bar bracket and sector shaft brace kit, the kit includes a brace for the stock track bar bracket that anchors it more firmly to the frame (no drop) and a brace for the steering sector

Last edited by slider_68; 05-22-2014 at 05:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Synergy drag link flip and ball joint question