Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Switching from lift spacers to springs. Help please

Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching from lift spacers to springs. Help please

Ok, I went with the RC 2.5" spacer lift on my 2012 2dr rubicon and now wish I would have went with springs instead. So my question is what is the biggest lift springs I can install with my current rear track bar bracket, brake line relocation brackets, exhaust spacers, and such. I would like to go a little higher and i'm not sure what size springs I can get away with safely. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bc4850; 12-11-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much is your spacer lift?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

it is a 2.5" rough country spacer lift. Also the front currently sits about 1" lower than the rear because of the winch and bumper.
(sorry I guess I left that out.)
Old 12-11-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bc4850
Ok, I went with the RC 2.5" spacer lift on my 2012 2dr rubicon and now wish I would have went with springs instead. So my question is what is the biggest lift springs I can install with my current rear track bar bracket, brake line relocation brackets, exhaust spacers, and such. I would like to go a little higher and i'm not sure what size springs I can get away with safely. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The easy answer is to get 2.5" lift springs. Depending on the weight of your Jeep (Bumpers, winch, armor, top, etc.) you will get at least 2.5" and possibly over 3" on a light Jeep. 2.5" is a sweet spot because it has minimal effect on steering, drive shafts, axle centering and other stuff that needs attention above 2.5".

In case it isn't obvious, don't use the spacers with 2.5" springs.

Springs all seem to cost more or less the same, so pick a US-made spring from a brand that has a top reputation for springs quality.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bc4850
Just out of curiosity, why did you want to switch to a spring lift? I've never had a spacer lift and was considering it unless they suck. I use my Jeep as a DD and light to moderate off-road.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NinjaTurtle1
Just out of curiosity, why did you want to switch to a spring lift? I've never had a spacer lift and was considering it unless they suck. I use my Jeep as a DD and light to moderate off-road.
There really isn't anything wrong with the spacer lift other than the fact that I would like to be able to possibly add a small spacer in the front to compensate for the extra weight up front. Also I would like to go a little taller.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

No one else with any advice?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Get 2.5" coils to swap out if you don't want to change anything else. Or do more research if you want a taller lift. Over 2.5"-3" you're going to longer brakelines, adj. control arms, track bars, etc....

Your best bet is to get a complete kit with all components that will work together (Teraflex or Rock Krawler are my reccomendations).
Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just swap out for 2.5" springs. Rock Krawler and TeraFlex tend to run a little taller than advertised.

Quick Reply: Switching from lift spacers to springs. Help please