Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Swing away tire carrier and 3rd brake light

Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swing away tire carrier and 3rd brake light

I'll admit I haven't ran a search, I am in front of the big screen waiting in the Broncos to whip up on the Raiders!

Quick question. Installed my swing away tire carrier on my bumper today. The instructions say to splice and extend the brake light wiring, which is fine... But... Is there anyway to not have the wire connecting the tire carrier to the tailgate??? Seems like a pain in the ass to have to be conscious about not opening the tire carrier too far before you open the tailgate to keep from ripping the wire out of the brake light.

How is everyone over coming this issue?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Just enough wire at the pivot point of your carrier.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

This is how I did it.
[IMG]http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae276/fan45acp/JeepWheelsandBumper008.jpg[/IMG
Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by familytime
Just enough wire at the pivot point of your carrier.
And just let it dangle around behind the carrier? Seems like to extend the wire that far it would hang well below the tire?

Also how are you weather sealing the wire without soldering? Just use a splice and then electrical tape?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat shrink or weatherproof connectors.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just dont run a 3rd brake light . I am also in colorado and have not run a 3rd brake light for the last 7 months with no problems from the law. Save yourself the time and energy and just dont run it. GO BRONCOS!!! quite a good game last night.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by a4x4high
I just dont run a 3rd brake light . I am also in colorado and have not run a 3rd brake light for the last 7 months with no problems from the law. Save yourself the time and energy and just dont run it. GO BRONCOS!!! quite a good game last night.
X2 on the no 3rd brakelight

There talking peyton Manning for player of the year
Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

ive seen a few pics in the "I did the unthinkable " thread , page 80 or 90 something where someone chopped up the stock 3rd brake light really well so that they were able to mount it to the tailgate like it should be mounted, but the carrier still worked.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys, I've got a couple of ideas I may try and then just scrap it possibly. I hate the ideas of the wire connected to the tail gate and the brake light connected to the carrier. I know the wife will slam the tailgate shut one day with the carrier wide open and do more harm then good.

Yep, go broncos! Got a little too close for comfort last night, but glad to see we finally started to get some calls and made some nice plays on both sides of the ball.

Von and Elvis had to be going nuts, they were getting held all night last night. If not held, tackled, grabbed face masks, tripped, you name it...
Old 12-07-2012, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
Thanks guys, I've got a couple of ideas I may try and then just scrap it possibly. I hate the ideas of the wire connected to the tail gate and the brake light connected to the carrier. I know the wife will slam the tailgate shut one day with the carrier wide open and do more harm then good.

Yep, go broncos! Got a little too close for comfort last night, but glad to see we finally started to get some calls and made some nice plays on both sides of the ball.

Von and Elvis had to be going nuts, they were getting held all night last night. If not held, tackled, grabbed face masks, tripped, you name it...
Again a picture is worth a hundred words..

Quick Reply: Swing away tire carrier and 3rd brake light