Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

swaying/wandering at high speeds after 2.5 lift

Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1-2" wtf?

Are you sure on this ?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
1-2" wtf?

Are you sure on this ?
yep. I can nab a pic even if I get home in the daylight. I measured it at about 1.25. I may work on shortening the track bar up tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Jeep is probably dog tracking down the road.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats an awful lot of offset to the axle. I bet alot of wandering is due to that
Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

agreed. I am going to get the track bar adjusted on Friday. Also getting the AEV control arm relocation brackets (I don't offroad on rocks enough at this time), JK quick discos for the front sway, and everything tightened up. Some weird rattling sound started underneath in the rear today when going from a dead stop to 10mph as well so need that looked at. And got my tpms to put in my new wheels as well. Hopefully this rectifies everything.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joey0480
agreed. I am going to get the track bar adjusted on Friday. Also getting the AEV control arm relocation brackets (I don't offroad on rocks enough at this time), JK quick discos for the front sway, and everything tightened up. Some weird rattling sound started underneath in the rear today when going from a dead stop to 10mph as well so need that looked at. And got my tpms to put in my new wheels as well. Hopefully this rectifies everything.
Skip the brackets and just get adjustable arms. And definitely square it up with the trackbar.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just a bit of an update.

First things first, the RC adjustable track bar was causing a lot of issues. It was binding up and the front axle was off by about an inch. The shop took it off and put back on a stock track bar and I am within about a 1/16 now. Now I can look down the sides of the vehicle and neither side looks to have the tires stick out further than the other and I personally believe that may have fixed a lot of the wandering. I still do have the rear track bar bracket installed.

Also had the AEV LCA brackets put on as well as the quick discos.
I have had her up to 70 on pretty flat road and I notice a significant difference in handling. The steering is much firmer and cornering is way improved.

I am still getting the occassional pull to the right or left in the front and a little swaying at variable speeds, but I am starting to think that is due to a combination of the crummy roads, having wider tires, and it generally being a bit windy recently....as well as not driving a jeep since 08 and having sports cars since.... I did lower the PSI in the front tires to 33 and the rear to 36, and may drop a bit more.

I am up in the air about getting an alignment (from what I was told nothing really should have changed now so not sure it is worth the money). I am also considering going down one more notch on the brackets to the 3.5 setting and see if that corrects anything else (I have it at the 2.5 setting now since the RC lift is 2.5)
Old 02-21-2013, 04:06 AM
JK Junkie

Yea try the 3.5 setting.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Id say, try and get some numbers from the alignment report first. Than you will see whether your numbers are right and the problem is elswhere, or whether you still need some correction...
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I may try and get under there tonight and measure the distance from the frame to the spring seat and see if it falls into the range for the 3.5 setting and go from there. I have an appt with the dealership late next week for an oil change and will probably just pay them to get the print out for the alignment and adjusting of the toe. Not sure how mod friendly they are, but they do have their own offroad section so to me that would seem they should be somewhat ok.

Quick Reply: swaying/wandering at high speeds after 2.5 lift