Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

swaying/wandering at high speeds after 2.5 lift

Old 02-02-2013, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swaying/wandering at high speeds after 2.5 lift

I had a 2.5 Rc suspension lift done yesterday. When I hit about 55 mph and up, I am noticing it gets very flighty and pulls to each side. I did have the rear track bar relocator done and the front adjustable track bar. I will be getting the quick release front sway links in about a week. Any ideas?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have your caster checked. You will probably need adjustable lower control arms to get it back into a tolerable area.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by olyelr
Have your caster checked. You will probably need adjustable lower control arms to get it back into a tolerable area.
What he said.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Even with a small 2.5 lift?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:18 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. The caster will be low enough to give it a flighty feel on the highway.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Plain and simple.............You need front lower control arms.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

or you can go with these... I'm thinking about going to them

Jeep JK Control Arm Relocation

i have a 2.5 TF lift (4dr lift on my 2dr)... but I also have a Daystar 3/4" spacer lift on top of that (closer to 3.5" of total lift). she's a little flighty, but it hasn't bothered me so far.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Yep. Brackets are an option also. But, not a much less $ than new arms.

2.5-3" is right where the JK will start getting the flighty feel. I swear, mine has a slight flightyness bone stock. I bet when I go with a 2.5" lift I will have it bad. Others swear they have no issues at all with stock control arms and 3 1/2" of lift. All depends on the particular Jeep IMO.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

When you had the lift installed did they keep the stock sway bar links on the front or just take them off for the time being? Without the sway bar connected you'll get wandering and bad cornering of course. Could also be a caster issue or just a loose bolt. Check all the bolts of the suspension if you can as they should be checked a few hundred miles after install and re-torqued if required.

We have a 5" lift on a 2dr and it doesn't get flighty. It does drive fairly straight for being lifted so much and without having any adjustable control arms. Although arms are next on the list when I get some time to either make them or $ to buy them.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by otservice
When you had the lift installed did they keep the stock sway bar links on the front or just take them off for the time being? Without the sway bar connected you'll get wandering and bad cornering of course. Could also be a caster issue or just a loose bolt. Check all the bolts of the suspension if you can as they should be checked a few hundred miles after install and re-torqued if required.

We have a 5" lift on a 2dr and it doesn't get flighty. It does drive fairly straight for being lifted so much and without having any adjustable control arms. Although arms are next on the list when I get some time to either make them or $ to buy them.
The front is still connected. I am going back next week for a re-torque and to get the quick disconnects put on in place of the stock endlinks. I put all the pressure to the new tires to about 32 psi as well. It is not as bad, but when I start to hit around 50 - 55 and up, it just feels like she is wandering....tad flighty. Maybe just the wider tire grabbing the grooves, but it seems a bit more than that.

Quick Reply: swaying/wandering at high speeds after 2.5 lift