Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Swaying jeep.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swaying jeep.

Have 2.5 rk flex kit. Front caster is around 4.4. What should I check in what order. I was reading rear sway bars should be level and mine are not. Also rear springs are bowed a bit. Could it be a rear issue? Not sure in what order to attack this. I checked all measurements on front and they look good. Would rotating tires help. Been about 5K miles. Running 28 lbs. any help. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean by swaying? Is it hard to keep in the middle of the lane?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not hard but If I don't stay on the wheel is will be over in the next lane. Like loose but stearing is tight. Also have fox ats at 13. I am think recheck all my joints and angles. Do a home alignment, rotate tires? Loosen all arm bolts and jump around on it and tighten back down. Or maybe I am expecting to much. I put paint on all the joints with a paint pen and they look like no movement. Thinking maybe toe. I don't know. I was woundering how much of a differance sway bars make and if they should be an exact degree. I was reading between + to - 5 degrees. It's not terrible just wounder a if I am not paying attention all the time. Which I should be but u know how it is.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Same lift - put some RK wedges in the rear to straighten up the coils and it also may be your stabilizer due to the pressure.

Take off the Stabilizer and drive it, see if it is corrected.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its wandering when you let go of the wheel, its probably toe. Your caster isnt ideal, but it should be good enough.

Dont worry about your stabilizer or swaybars
Old 03-29-2014, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Mine with a 2.5" lift did the same until I added an adj front track bar and centered my axel. Something to look at if you didn't get one with your kit.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
Mine with a 2.5" lift did the same until I added an adj front track bar and centered my axel. Something to look at if you didn't get one with your kit.
This may sounds retarded but how can you tell when you axle is centered? I guess what im really asking is what are the best point on the axle and frame to measure from?

Thanks in advance..
Dave
Old 03-30-2014, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Go to YouTube and search for "Teraflex monster track bar install." I decided against the Teraflex track bar and went with synergy due to reports about the Teraflex snapping in half, but the install video is very informative.

Basically you measure from the frame to the outer edge of the tire. Mine was only off by about a .50-.75 inch, but it was enough that once it was centered, I could clearly tell a difference in the handling and tracking of the jeep.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your caster sounds good. Stock is 4.2 so that difference is ok. But you would be amazed what +/- 1or2* will make. Check the torque on your control arms. Check your pitman arm torque. Mine was all over the road and come to find out my pitman arm wasn't tight at all.
With 2.5" lift your axles should not be bad out of center
Old 03-30-2014, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. It tracks straight. Got some ideas now that was what I was looking for. I lossened up the ats and that made a bit of diffetsnce in overstear. Not sure where the pitman mit is but I am sure I can figure it out. Is there a tq setting for it. Is it the top or bottom nut. I will look into that. I am also tjinking my caster may have changed when I put on the after market bumpers. I will double check that as well. When adjusting caster where is a good number to shot for taking into consideration angle of front drive shaft. Thanks again. I just don't want to run around in circles. So I was trying to outline a plan of attack. Where to start and where to goto next.

Would rotating tires make any differance? They have not been rotates for about six K.

Quick Reply: Swaying jeep.