Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Swaying Jeep

Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah sorry. I had an alignment done after the install.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry it's a 4 door. It feel like the whole thing is swaying. I feel like I'm constantly correcting to keep it in my lane.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

To me it sounds like an alignment problem. Toe and castor come to mind since your biggest complaint is at highway speeds and both of those, if not correct,can cause the very symptoms you describe.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Put your steering wheel straight and put a straight board up against your tires. Each side. I like my board to be about 3ft long. Then measure from board to board at the front and back. Make sense?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

So should I start with adjustable LCAs and get a new alignment. Yeah it's all on the highway. Around town doing 30-40 rides an handles great. On the highway it's alittle on the scary side. I can handle it no problems but I know it can be better. I would like my fiancé to be able to drive it without be scared.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would first look at your toe setting, a high toe setting can cause the car to unstable at speed. Let me ask you this, does your jeep feel like it turns into a turn much more sharply than it previously did when moving at say 30-40mph or higher?

i wouldnt order anything until you find the cause of your problems.

shaun h

Last edited by awdspider; 08-07-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kinda. If u point it in any direction that's the way it's gonna head. Maybe I'll take it back for another alignment and get a sheet this time to see how far out everything is. I took it to a local 4wd shop so idk exactly how they aligned it. I know my steering wheel isn't completely straight. It's tuned to the left about 10 degrees or so.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 12HTownSahara
Kinda. If u point it in any direction that's the way it's gonna head. Maybe I'll take it back for another alignment and get a sheet this time to see how far out everything is. I took it to a local 4wd shop so idk exactly how they aligned it. I know my steering wheel isn't completely straight. It's tuned to the left about 10 degrees or so.
yes, get another alignment and then report back!

shaun h
Old 08-07-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Shaun H. My problem is that I'm on a drilling location in south tx away from everything and when I go home it's for a short time. So it makes it tough. When I go home and an alignment doesn't help no parts will be there in time to install before I come back to work so then I have to drive back with my jeep like that. No biggie. Its gonna take time to get this thing driving the way I want it. Thanks guys. I'll keep this open and let y'all know how it goes. Of anyone else has the RC 3.5 and had problem and fixed them let me know.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

i understand your situation, im just trying to save you money. i would hate for you to buy some parts and install them only to find out that it didnt work.

shaun h

Quick Reply: Swaying Jeep