Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Swaying Jeep

Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I'm about to order the full traction HD swaybar and the relocation kit for the control arms. Maybe that will help and then I can order the adjustable trac bars.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k0260
The full traction sway bar really helped my body roll issues, almost completely eliminated the under steer (the feeling of the rear over swaying around turns or bumps, like the back end is coming out and around) much more comfortable on the road, and has adjustability/great performance off road.
That would be oversteer. Understeer would be when you come into a turn, and the car keeps going straight even though the wheel is turned.

To the OP, did your kit come with sway bar extensions? What are you doing for caster correction? Cambolts?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kit came with rear swaybar ext. move the rear to the front. The kit came with LCAs. Others than that there is nothing for any corrections. Im about to order the AEV relocation kit for the LCA and put my stock ones back on. Do I need to get an alignment after?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 12HTownSahara
Kit came with rear swaybar ext. move the rear to the front. The kit came with LCAs. Others than that there is nothing for any corrections. Im about to order the AEV relocation kit for the LCA and put my stock ones back on. Do I need to get an alignment after?
So are LCA's adjustable? Imho i would just spend the money and get adjustable lca's if your current ones are not. I would stay away from aev's brackets, they work fine, but how many relocation brackets do you want on your jeep to make it right? Also do you have the 2.2shocks? In my experience their 2.2's ride really rough, i had them on my last jk and was never happy with them but was too lazy to replace them? Are your swaybars relatively level to the ground?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

No sir they are not adjustable control arms. I believe the shocks are the 2.0s. Your right about the relocation brackets and kits. I just want the thing to feel safe on the road at highway speeds. Its very frustrating to say the least. At first I thought wow this thing drive good but when I hit the highway things changed. Feels really unstable. All I can go on is what I read on here. I'm gonna try different stuff till I find what works. I'm going to order the swaybar kit for the rear and maybe the adjustable trac bars. I thought I would get the AEV relocation kit and throw it on just to see if it changes anything. The shocks do seems to be rough. Maybe later I will order the bilstiens. I just want a good driving DD jeep that looks good. Jeesh.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No sir they are not adjustable control arms. I believe the shocks are the 2.0s. Your right about the relocation brackets and kits. I just want the thing to feel safe on the road at highway speeds. Its very frustrating to say the least. At first I thought wow this thing drive good but when I hit the highway things changed. Feels really unstable. All I can go on is what I read on here. I'm gonna try different stuff till I find what works. I'm going to order the swaybar kit for the rear and maybe the adjustable trac bars. I thought I would get the AEV relocation kit and throw it on just to see if it changes anything. The shocks do seems to be rough. Maybe later I will order the bilstiens. I just want a good driving DD jeep that looks good. Jeesh.
To get the best performance from your sway bars, make sure they are close to level. If not, you'll want adj sway links to get the bars nice and flat. Like the previous comment below, I too could not stand my RC 2.2's. The Bilstein 5100's completely changed the ride for me.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I here ya... its frustrating. We will help to get your issues resolved. Have you retorqued everything since the trip you took? If you havent that would be a good place to start.

Imho i would start by trying to find the issues instead of ordering new parts and hoping that fixes your problem. Alot of problems people come across can be attributed to loose or worn out nuts and bolts or ovaled out mounting holes....such as track bars. Have you had an alignment since the lift? If not then that could be a partial cause to your woes. If you have then see about getting it checked out again, maybe something got out of wack.

After i initially installed my RC 4" lift my rear sway bar bolt came loose, thus causing the jeep to jostle a bit around corners and bumps. Then my lca bolts loosened up and caused other handling issues....the my trackbar got a little loose and caused all sorts of uneasiness.

If your were near dallas i would swing by and have a look at it, i might be able spot something your missing.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Adj. Front track bar is a good purchase regardless, imho you cant go wrong.

Also is your jeep a 2dr or 4dr? Also you said your jeep sways, is it the body swaying or the jeep itslef swaying back and forth. Does it feel like your tires are riding in a groove and you are constalty correcting ths steering wheel to keep it straight?

Last edited by awdspider; 08-07-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well everything seems to have stayed torqued. I used a paint pen to mark my bolt heads an nuts so I could see if it had any movement. Im going to contribute some of the vibration I'm getting to the wheels spacers. I have a friend that has a jk and I'm going to borrow his wheels. If the vibration stops then I'll be buying new wheels. I'm going to call the shop by my house and see what they think about it. Maybe let them take it for a spin and see what they think. It just feels really flighty. I have been messing with my tire pressure. I just lowered it to 30lbs but havent had a chance to drive it since I did it. Maybe that will help. I was worried about lowering them o much since they are already bulged out cause they are 12.50 on stock wheels. I appreciate all your suggestions. I have to figure something out. To many people drive lifted JKs as a DD and claim no problems. Thanks guys.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alignment?

I ran 30-32psi on my last lifted jeep. With no issues except for worse gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Swaying Jeep