Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Swaying Jeep

Old 08-06-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swaying Jeep

Just finished getting a 3.5 inch rough country. I also installed 35/12.50/18 Nitto trails. First question is on the road is seems to sway a lot. What is the best way to resolve this. And next is it seems to be rough, no pun intended, when I'm on dirt roads. When dealing with the swaying could it be air pressure related. I have 38 lbs in each tire. Started with 45 and have been working down. The day after the lift was installed I drove out to south tx (400 miles) without any real problems. Maybe it just takes some getting used to. Just looking for opinions. Not an open window to bash what parts I have installed please. Thanks guys.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After you installed the lift, did you tighten the control arm and trackbar bolts while the jeep was on the ground or while it was jacked up/on stands?
and did you use the trackbar relocation bracket and drop pitman arm? or just an adjustable trackbar?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The roughness might be partly your tire pressure. 38 is way too high. I would drop them to 30 and start to chalk test them then.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A awesome investment for any lifts over 3", is Full Tractions HD rear swaybar. For $189, it completely fixed my understeer, and greatly reduced my body roll. Cool thing too is it has 3 adj spots to place your sway links for firm road ride to softer flex ride. I'm very happy with it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03047.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	350460
Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everything tightened and torqued on the ground. Using the parts that came in the kit. Drop pitman and relocation brackets. I'm going to try lowering the tire pressure.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

K-- what lift are you running?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 12HTownSahara
K-- what lift are you running?
I took an expensive route and pieced it together: Rough Country 2.5" coils, added .5" spacer to front, 3/4" spacer to rear. Bilstein 5100 gas shocks. Warrior Products Front/rear lower control arms. RC adj front trackbar. Tera Flex HD axle mount rear trackbar bracket. RC front sway disco's. JKS rear sway links. Full Traction rear HD sway bar. Brake line extensions. etc...
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03050.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	350489Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03014.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	350490Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5311.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	350491

Last edited by k0260; 08-06-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was really excited about getting my jeep lifted and looking good. I just want to fine tune some of the issuses im having. When i hit a bump i seem to feel it in the steering wheel. Like a hard hit not bumpsteer. IDK how to explain it. Ive heard several things like replacing my RC lowers with the relocation kit from AEV. ultimately i know its a jeep and its gonna drive like a jeep. New it didnt drive like a caddy but it was nice. I just want to fine tune it alittle here and there to make it so i can feel comfortable. Im getting alittle vibration getting to highway speeds but ill associate that to the RC 1.5 inch spacer i have for the stock wheels. Anyways im always looking for new ideas. I may try the FT HD swaybar kit. Seems like a fairly cheap fix for some swaying issuses.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi

I was really excited about getting my jeep lifted and looking good. I just want to fine tune some of the issuses im having. When i hit a bump i seem to feel it in the steering wheel. Like a hard hit not bumpsteer. IDK how to explain it. Ive heard several things like replacing my RC lowers with the relocation kit from AEV. ultimately i know its a jeep and its gonna drive like a jeep. New it didnt drive like a caddy but it was nice. I just want to fine tune it alittle here and there to make it so i can feel comfortable. Im getting alittle vibration getting to highway speeds but ill associate that to the RC 1.5 inch spacer i have for the stock wheels. Anyways im always looking for new ideas. I may try the FT HD swaybar kit. Seems like a fairly cheap fix for some swaying issuses.
The full traction sway bar really helped my body roll issues, almost completely eliminated the under steer (the feeling of the rear over swaying around turns or bumps, like the back end is coming out and around) much more comfortable on the road, and has adjustability/great performance off road.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue too when i installed my kit. Had alot of bump steer when hitting bumps. only thing is i didnt use the drop pitman arm with the trackbar relo bracket so that couldve been the problem. when i removed the trackbar relo and installed an adj trackbar that fixed the issue for me

Quick Reply: Swaying Jeep