Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Swaybar link dilemma...

Old 12-18-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kwolf
Yours were tighter than that? It's hard to tell in the photos, but when my shocks compress the fattest (upper) part of the tires are gonna get even closer...we're talking 1/4", maybe even less.
I went with JKS and they gave me enough room. I called Joe and he did everything he could, I rode for 6 mos without the sway bar. ESP was on more than I liked. I wouldn't run with it disconnected. Call FT and see what they come up with. If not call Northridge and tell David what you are experiencing and he will spin his magic.. lol.. Good luck - added photos for comparison.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0302.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	251310Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0298.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	251312Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	251313Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0296.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	251314Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	251315
Old 12-18-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mjones
I went with JKS and they gave me enough room. I called Joe and he did everything he could, I rode for 6 mos without the sway bar. ESP was on more than I liked. I wouldn't run with it disconnected. Call FT and see what they come up with. If not call Northridge and tell David what you are experiencing and he will spin his magic.. lol.. Good luck - added photos for comparison.

Attachment 251310Attachment 251312Attachment 251313Attachment 251314Attachment 251315
Your pics are with the axle in the normal position. His pics are with the axle dropped. His axle will have been shoved over to the passenger side as much as it can go.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Sway Bar Link

Hey y'all:

Installing my lift / tires today. 3" Full Traction and 315/75R16 DuraTracs on a '12 JKU, 4.5 backspaced rims. With the tires installed on the rear, the bolts for the swaybar links are REALLY close to the tires...too close for my comfort (see pics below).

I called Chris @ FT, and he says the links are designed to be bolted to the outside of the mounts. And moving them to the inside won't solve my problem; if on the inside, the bolt will hit the trackbar mounting bracket on the passenger side. On the driver's side, the bend in the rear swaybar itself still looks uncomfortably close to the tire. I've tried the links on the inside AND outside of the mounts, and tried sending the mounting bolts through from both the inside and outside, as well.

Attachment 250401Attachment 250400

My options as I see it are this:

1. Buy spacers for the rear wheels. Would I have to buy them for all four, or only for the rear? The front wheels are fine, as is. Only clearance issue is @ the rear. Generally not a big fan of spacers in the first place, so I'm considering...

2. Removing the rear swaybar altogether. Not real fond of this, either, as the swaybar limits the roll of the rear...not sure how much it would affect the Jeep's handling, however. Rear swaybars are a fairly recent addition to the rear of most 4x4's anyway, aren't they? Could be totally wrong about this...

Anyone got some advice, or suggestions I haven't thought of?

Thanks for any help.
After my Black Diamond 3" lift installation on my 2007 JK Rubicon, I too had the rear BD supplied sway bar links contact the wheel after jacking the frame up to check clearances. My temporary fix was to reverse the links so that the threaded portion was facing the wheel. A recheck showed no contact at full extension.
Down the road I will install 35" tires with less backspacing on the new wheel. That should provide adequate clearance. I will then reverse the links.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

That's what I'm thinking. Gonna have to call FT again in the a.m. and see...When I bought the lift (I've got the 3" premium plus) I told Steve, their engineer, what tires I was gonna run and he said no problem. But that was almost 2 months ago (DT's were on backorder forever.)

I'm either gonna have to get spacers or run without a rear swaybar. Probably try to figure out which one is the lesser of two evils.

Thanks for the help folks.
Did you get an answer from FT?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zombie Hunter
Did you get an answer from FT?
Yup. Temporary retardation on my part. Once I put it on the ground, centered the axles and did an alignment, everything lined up the way it was supposed to. The original problem was perceptual...I had my rig on a lift, and my axle was kicked way over to the passenger side, which was causing my swaybar links to be much closer to the tire than they would normally be on the ground, under load, and with everything adjusted.

You provided more help than you know.

Thanks.

Pic from the day after I figured everything out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phase1_121711kbw.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	252844Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_fogs_122011kbw.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	252843

Last edited by kwolf; 12-21-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by troyboy
Your pics are with the axle in the normal position. His pics are with the axle dropped. His axle will have been shoved over to the passenger side as much as it can go.
Thanks for your input. Turns out you were right on...
Old 12-21-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for your input. Turns out you were right on...
I'm glad it worked out for you. I had the same problem just a week before you but I am using the 6" BS stock wheels without spacers. Now that's a tight fit! You can do it with 33" tires as long as they are no wider than 285mm. I also had to lower the track bar by 1" and shorten the links by 1".

Old 12-21-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by troyboy
I'm glad it worked out for you. I had the same problem just a week before you but I am using the 6" BS stock wheels without spacers. Now that's a tight fit! You can do it with 33" tires as long as they are no wider than 285mm. I also had to lower the track bar by 1" and shorten the links by 1".

I feel your pain. Stock rims would've eaten my swaybar links, probably even if I did the mods you described.

Your advice helped me...so, thanks.

Quick Reply: Swaybar link dilemma...