Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sway bar Links

Old 04-06-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar Links

I just put a 4" lift on my Jeep JK and the guy who helped me install it was telling me not to put the sway bar links on. Well me being as hard headed as I am. I put them on. But Ive been looking at so many pictures of peoples jeeps on this site and notice that many if not all dont have the sway bar links on theyre jeeps. Whats the advantage to not having them on? Its my daily driver. I drive about 10 miles to and from work daily. If I take them off will It also affect the alignment?

Some advice and input would be helpful

Last edited by Jgmz82 OIIIIIO; 04-06-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 04-06-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jgmz82 OIIIIIO
I just put a 4" lift on my Jeep JK and the guy who helped me install it was telling me not to put the sway bar links on. Well me being as hard headed as I am. I put them on. But Ive been looking at so many pictures of peoples jeeps on this site and notice that many if not all dont have the sway bar links on theyre jeeps. Whats the advantage to not having them on? Its my daily driver. I drive about 10 to and from work daily. If I take them off will It also affect the alignment?

Some advice and input would be helpful
im guessing your talking about the front sway bar correct? if so you get more flex off roading if you haven't driven it without sway bars on road i would not advise doing so major body roll although it is fun sometimes lol,here its a pain bc of the wind i do drive occasionally with them off bc i dont have quick discos and i get lazy haha, but the ride sucks with wind, it wont effect your alignment at all, its all in what your comfortable with hope this helps
Old 04-06-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Jedi

Get the sway bar links you can remove.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just get quick disconnects 120 bux
Old 04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitely don't want to get in the habit of driving on road with your front swaybar disconnected. One quick directional shift to avoid something and then quick the other way to correct and your chance to roll over your rig is pretty high. Take it for a drive around the block and you'll see what I'm talking about. You'll definitely want to get some longer links for the front if the lift kit didn't come with a means to get the job done.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A sway bar will not affect your alignment, it will however affect your Jeep's on-road manners.
The sway bar prevents the non-uniform up/down travel of the axle. You have them front and rear. Basically with a sway bar attatched the jeep will drive better, at the cost of suspension travel off-road.

Google sway bar disconnects and you will find pages of pros and cons to swaybars. I completely uninstalled them on my 97' jeep TJ, she wheeled, but my road-trip to seattle was miserable.

I would recommend a set of quick disconnects.

Quick Reply: Sway bar Links