Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

sway bar link question

Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sway bar link question

I have the teraflex bb and i put the new rear sway bar links on the inside of the swaybar and axle mount. I want to put it on the outside. It will have more clearance and looks like its supposed to be on the outside like the stock. The project jk write up says to put it on the inside.
Question is: do i have to jack up the jeep again to take them off? Or will they freely come undone with the jeep on the ground?
Thank you!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Junkie

The Jeep doesnt have to jacked up / rested on jack stands. So as long as you can get to the links you are fine. Case in point is when it comes time to disconnect the front sway bar links. The jeep is always on the ground. The question now is will you have enough clearance to get to the nuts/bolts with the rear tires still installed? The front is another story because you can always turn the wheel to the left or right if you need to gain more access...
Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

You don't have to jack it up again no. You can change them on the ground.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
I have the teraflex bb and i put the new rear sway bar links on the inside of the swaybar and axle mount. I want to put it on the outside. It will have more clearance and looks like its supposed to be on the outside like the stock. The project jk write up says to put it on the inside.
Question is: do i have to jack up the jeep again to take them off? Or will they freely come undone with the jeep on the ground?
Thank you!!!
You should be able to pop them off with it on the ground. Just use a rubber mallet if they try to resist. Once they are off you can move the sway bar around freely to help get them back on.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's what i thought! Thank you! I should have enough room for the bolts and nuts. The wheel has 3.5" backspacing or 3.25" backspacing. There's room i think. thank you guys for the quick responses!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

You were right aldaman. I couldn't get to the bolts/nuts without jacking it up and taking the wheels off. took me no time to do it and i feel better having those links on the outside!
Thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
You were right aldaman. I couldn't get to the bolts/nuts without jacking it up and taking the wheels off. took me no time to do it and i feel better having those links on the outside!
Thanks
Glad you got it worked out

Quick Reply: sway bar link question