Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sway bar HELP!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar HELP!

I was leaving work today, went out of the parking lot (small rounded curb) to the street. I heard a "clunk," and then noticed my front end was swaying on the curves. Looked underneath and saw that the driver's side upper sway bar link was missing a bolt and the metal of the bushing. I have the terraflex leveling kit, with their links. Joe at terraflex is sending a new bushing and bolt/nut. THE PROBLEM IS THIS>>>I went to take the bottom bolt out, and noticed that the mounting point for the sway bar (metal 'tab') from the axle is bent outward. The bend is noticeable, maybe 15 to 20 degrees. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? I have not had anytime to hit the trails, so I would have to guess that going over the "curbed" entry at work did it??? Is this something that can be bent back and still be stout, or am i looking at finding someone to do some fab/welding work? I am trying to attach a pic. ANY HELP as to what the F*(K to do is appreciated!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default heres the pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	169531Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	169530
First one is from above, the other from below....HELP ME!! PLEASE!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been a few people on here that have bent the axle mount tabs and just bent them back. I don't seeing it being too much of a problem if it happens once or twice. But do that over and over again and the steel becomes work hardened and brittle. Since you're already talking to Teraflex about the issue I would ask them their thoughts on the strength of that tab after bending it back since they've dealt with lots more JK axle and suspension stuff than I ever will.

Hopefully someone with firsthand experience or a little more technical expertise will chime in soon for you.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent. Got your parts here at my desk ready to mail out usps Priority mail.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron @ R&S Unlimited in Benningtion could stitch a shoulder aside those tabs to give some peace of mind. He's a gem, has done all my welding.

For what it's worth, I don't believe our crap lot caused the failure. It's more likely the part simply failed (no reflection on TF, parts fail) and the tab got bent as your suspension cycled - or something. Don't sweat it, a rare issue, kudos to RD for making it right.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks you guys. OPDSGT, yeah, dont think it was the crap parking lot, probably just my "departure angle" and a gremlin or two. Keep an eye out for any JK parts laying in the middle of 103rd street..... Joe at Teraflex was awesome. Thanks to David at good ole NORTHRIDGE for the service 5 months after the sale. JK people are awesome! Sounds like a little muscle, bending and reinforcement is what'll be done.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
PM sent. Got your parts here at my desk ready to mail out usps Priority mail.
This is what I call GREAT service.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so the same thing happend to me on the same side, the bolt on the sway bar came off, I didn't notice, the sway bar link fell forward onto the steering bar and when I turned the steering wheel to tale a corner the link binding on the steering bar bent that piece on the axel, I used my stock tire wrench from the back of the jeep and bent it back and I have had no problems since, mine was bent about 80 degrese it was f@&ked but bent it back and no problems, oh and all it did was chip the paint on my jks disco, those things are tuff lol
Old 06-09-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default The chicken or the egg?

So after reading the responses, I did a little thinking about what happened first... I was certain that the top bolt on the link broke as a result of the lower axle side tab being bent. WRONG. Thanks to "Jeep Creep" I took a look at my sway bar link and noticed a scar from where the link got stuck on the steering. Sure as $h!t, the most rational scenario is the bolt breaking, the link flopping forward, and then being pushed clear over to the side upon making a left hand turn, thus bending the axle side mount. I will be "borrowing" a big a$$ crescent wrench from my father in law and fixing this mess tomorrow. LESSON LEARNED>>> TAKE 5 MINUTES AND RETORQUE EVERYTHING WHEN IM UNDER THE JK
Old 06-12-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default All better now!

Got the parts from Joe at Teraflex yesterday. With the help of a torch and a big a$$ pipe wrench i got the axle tab bent back. New bushing installed and the boat-like ride of my JK is gone. TERAFLEX customer service is A+++. I even got a super sweet Teraflex ballcap. THANKS JOE!!!! --My wife says im a dork for being so excited about a hat though....

Quick Reply: Sway bar HELP!