Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sway bar end link help on an OME lifted Jeep

Old 06-17-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar end link help on an OME lifted Jeep

Well....I put the OME 2" lift in my Jeep a few months back and finally got around to purchasing end links for the rear. Intent was to bring the rear links up front and put OE style Teralfex links in the rear. My lift was the HD coils and I netted about 3" up front and a little more in the rear like most that throw the OME lifts on their 2 DR.

I purchase as set of Teraflex links that were advertised as "for 2.5" - 4.0" worth of lift so I figured I would be fine going this route. That was until I went to install them last night. I removed the OE rears and put the Teraflex links on one side. It looked real tight so I put the tire back on to check clearance before doing the other side and sure enough, the top on the link hit the tire and part of the rim.

Anyone have a picture or two of the stock rear link showing its position in relation to the tire/rim? I'd like to see how close the tolerances are with a stock Jeep. Looks like I'll need another set of links. I'd prefer to stay away from the adjustable style (I know the benefit of being much more precise going this route) and go with something along the lines of the OE link. What have you guys used with success and or what other manufactures have you used with success? Muchos gracias in advance....
Old 06-18-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Teraflex makes a factory look-a-like extended rear link that works great!!! Sealed upper ball bushing they work great! I could only find them on eBay under the Teraflex eBay sales... Cheap I think $50 plus shipping, search eBay for them. I have the same springs OME HD front and rear's with TF suspension components love the small lift, good luck
Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
Well....I put the OME 2" lift in my Jeep a few months back and finally got around to purchasing end links for the rear. Intent was to bring the rear links up front and put OE style Teralfex links in the rear. My lift was the HD coils and I netted about 3" up front and a little more in the rear like most that throw the OME lifts on their 2 DR.

I purchase as set of Teraflex links that were advertised as "for 2.5" - 4.0" worth of lift so I figured I would be fine going this route. That was until I went to install them last night. I removed the OE rears and put the Teraflex links on one side. It looked real tight so I put the tire back on to check clearance before doing the other side and sure enough, the top on the link hit the tire and part of the rim.

Anyone have a picture or two of the stock rear link showing its position in relation to the tire/rim? I'd like to see how close the tolerances are with a stock Jeep. Looks like I'll need another set of links. I'd prefer to stay away from the adjustable style (I know the benefit of being much more precise going this route) and go with something along the lines of the OE link. What have you guys used with success and or what other manufactures have you used with success? Muchos gracias in advance....

Are you still running the factory wheels? If so that is your problem
Old 06-18-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Atch
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Attachment 330954

Attachment 330955

I haven't changed my stock links yet but have that lift and spring set up. No problems yet.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Atch
Originally Posted by tslewisz
Exactly what I was thinking.
Gents, I am sitting on stock rims and tires until I need to replace them. What's the real downside of leaving the OE links on the back? Less flex? More wear on them and eventually need to replace them?

I'm thinking the fronts are the more important links. Maybe I should just replace them and call it a day?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

You will need wheel spacers or new wheels to properly clear the links. Another option would be to lower your swaybar by one inch then shorten your links by one inch. See the link in my signature for how I did it.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Gents, I am sitting on stock rims and tires until I need to replace them. What's the real downside of leaving the OE links on the back? Less flex? More wear on them and eventually need to replace them?

I'm thinking the fronts are the more important links. Maybe I should just replace them and call it a day?
Been running like this both on and off road for about 2 years. Not saying the other guys are wrong about swaybar clearance, but I haven't had issues.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here are the Teraflex 1754500 rear links work great I'm also running 1.5" spacers but I like the links no squeaks...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-655388341.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	331140
Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

I'm still running the rear stock links but I know I may flip them while off roading u should be fine with the stock but like previously said if u want to run aftermarket u will need either wheel spacers or new wheels

Quick Reply: Sway bar end link help on an OME lifted Jeep