Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sway bar disconnected bent

Old 02-07-2015, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar disconnected bent

So I have a slight dilemma.

I have the probably bottom of the line rough country adjustable away bar disconnects. They suck but I've had them a couple years without issue.

The bolt on the sway bar side connection apparently came off, The sway bar fell into the rim/tire and bent the sway bar itself as well as the flange it is attached to on the axle.

I think I can just take the tire off and lightly tap the flange back no problem maybe a little pre heat. But my problem is it's Saturday, I only have one sway bar side connected which I presume is useless.

Can I drive like this?
Old 02-07-2015, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Disconnect the other side and drive until you can fix it. Too much torque on the other bolt if you leave it connected and end up going up a curb or something. Make sure you hold up your swaybar with a piece of rope or bungie cord.

Should be ok if you bang it back straight.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Disconnect the other side and drive until you can fix it. Too much torque on the other bolt if you leave it connected and end up going up a curb or something. Make sure you hold up your swaybar with a piece of rope or bungie cord.

Should be ok if you bang it back straight.
Whats the downside of driving without the sway bar entirely? Especially at highway speeds I don't think I can get new ones until wed. I have to work tuesday.

I MIGHT be able to reattach the one that is bent, just temporarily if I get a new nut that fits.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long time forum creeper here.. But you would just be driving without the front seat bar connected. Just be carful around turns and such. I wouldn't worry about it to much till its fixed
Old 02-07-2015, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok please don't take this as an insult, but have you ever used your disconnects? There is a difference in on-road handling. I usually reconnect mine off the trail before I hit the highway, but have gone up to 10 km or so without them. You don't want to do fast jerky lane changes. Going around a long curve is interesting as the body sway is more than usual and you will need more steering correction. If you are just in traffic or around town you probably won't even notice.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Why can't you fix it today? You don't need pre-heat on the axle flanges. I have bent mine back a few times.

Edit: Ok I see that the actual bar is bent. Got pics?

Last edited by PG-JKU; 02-07-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trauma
So I have a slight dilemma. I have the probably bottom of the line rough country adjustable away bar disconnects. They suck but I've had them a couple years without issue. The bolt on the sway bar side connection apparently came off, The sway bar fell into the rim/tire and bent the sway bar itself as well as the flange it is attached to on the axle. I think I can just take the tire off and lightly tap the flange back no problem maybe a little pre heat. But my problem is it's Saturday, I only have one sway bar side connected which I presume is useless. Can I drive like this?
I've been running totally disconnected for three months. For day to day driving not exceeding 55-60 mph driving, it does just fine. My wife had been running disconnected in her TJ for 6 months without an issue.

Quick Reply: Sway bar disconnected bent