Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sway Bar Disconnect Length Question

Old 03-07-2020, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sway Bar Disconnect Length Question

I have a 2015 JKU with a 2.5" MetalCloak lift. A buddy and I installed it over a year ago. The Jeep was in for warranty repairs this week and the dealer noted that my disconnects looked to be adjusted too long, with the sway bar at about a 35-40* angle. He recommended adjusting to 0-10* when on level ground. I posted on the MetalCloak Facebook page and someone there told me that they should be adjusted to full droop, with an additional 15* on the sway bar to keep from flipping it. It seems tho, that he has very long disconnects and never removes them.

Main question - how do I determine the proper length of the adjustable sway bar disconnects? Based on the dealership, it should be on level ground, adjust to the sway bar being level (0-10*), then tighten them up. My thinking is that this will give several inches of droop, and if I expect anything more I should be disconnecting. Based on the MC page, I should be leaving them as long as needed to never disconnect.

2nd Question - Does the position of the sway bar affect the drivability of the vehicle? I have noted that since I put the lift on (replacing a TF leveling kit that was already on it when purchased) I feel like it has a lot of roll to it. I've played with caster and it doesn't affect it much, so would lowering the sway bar angle make a difference?

Additional Info - I drive 90% on the road and my off-road is limited to orange groves, pastures and the occasional logging road in north Florida. Nothing that a stock setup wouldn't handle.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

They should be sized so you can't flip them forward. Yes the angle of the bar can affect the ride and they will give the most firm ride when the sway bar is parallel to the ground.
The following users liked this post:
jimonfly (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And the shorter the length the higher potential to flip forward?

Wouldn't it take both sides extending far enough to flip the sway bar forward? If only one side dropped down and the other articulated upward, could that also cause the flip?
Old 03-07-2020, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Correct both wheels would have to go to full extension to flip forward. Its easy to do as in driving somewhat fast over a sharp hill. Been there done that, you don't want it to happen. You could throw a limiting strap on the diff so you can't full droop the whole axle and still retain full stuff/droop on each side.
The following users liked this post:
jimonfly (03-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Disconnect Length Question