Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

sway bar

Old 05-09-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sway bar

Im building my rubicon 2 dr primarily for off road should i remove the rear sway bar or leave it?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

no.
a correctly calibrated sway bar will HELP a off-road vehicle instead of harm it. It controls body roll and unloading of the suspension.
and it will be downright dangerous to drive on-road without one.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took off my TJ rear sway bar at 500 miles (when I did the 4" lift) and never had any problems. I drove my JK without the rear sway bar for about a week with a 3" lift because my wheel spacers didn't get shipped and my links were rubbing the rear tires. I did notice more body roll without it on the JK and now have it connected. I don't feel that having it removed will benefit you enough off road to warrant removing it if you don't have to. There is enough benefit to leave it on in my opinion.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

I had to remove the rear swaybar after installing my 4" lift until my new wheels/tires came in (swaybar rubbed inside of tire sidewall on stock tire/wheel offset) . I wouldn't recommend it. It caused a lot of body roll especially on the highway. I drove my TJ for years without the front swaybar ever connected but the rear on the JK turned out to be pretty important. At 75 mph it was white knuckle driving at any higher speeds.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

wouldnt that make your ESP go crazy?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:09 PM
JK Newbie

i have a 4 inch lift on mine and 37s on my 4dr and i have completely removed my rear sway bar. I hardly even notice that it isnt there. I can feel it a little bit on the high way but not enough to cause me to worry. Also i havent had any problems with the esp with the sway bar off but i havent had any even with the lift installed. I guess i might just be lucky too. But with my rear sway bar disconected and my front disconected I have twice the flex that i did before.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AddictedToJeeps
But with my rear sway bar disconected and my front disconected I have twice the flex that i did before.
you will, that is a given, but not all "flex" is "good flex".

But it will PERFORM better off-road with a sway bar. Articulation is over-rated if it is not controlable. Gone are the days of the Flex-o-matic 11tymillion RTI monsters with retarded suspention design (thank god). Go and look at any comp rig and you will see that all of them have sway bars installed.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
. Go and look at any comp rig and you will see that all of them have sway bars installed.

yep I see alot of the lock-n-rock style sway bars on comp rigs

Quick Reply: sway bar