Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sway bar

Old 05-19-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar

Okay... Here we go!

I snapped my Rubicon front swaybar with the electronic disconnect. I am sick of it, it limits my flex and reconnects every time I turn my jeep off. So long story short, I want to remove the broken stock swaybar and put a new one in. I have a few questions though...

1. Can anyone point me in the direction of a writeup on how to correctly remove the bar and motor?

2. With the motor gone, will I get codes? If so can I delete the codes, and how?

3. What should I replace it with? Currie antilock, JKS, ...?

Any other advice is more than welcome!

Thanks so much for the help,

Alex Kemple
Old 05-19-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

YOu snapped it??? Where? In the motor itself? can you see the break. If mine goes I'm just gonna get a stock one from None Rubi and install and go manual disconnects. Ya got pics?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Unplug the big harness from the smartbar, undo the mounts from the frame and it is removed.... Your Swaybar light will flash now since it is not plugged in. Several programmers give you the option to turn the light off.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was wondering about the same thing what if I change it to the none rubi sway bar?

Also, how does this electric disonect works? Sway bar still attached to the links. How much of a flex gain should I get if I go with the non rubi sway bar and disconect it manualy?
In order to get more flex can I simply remove sway bar links on my existing Rubi sway bar?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Junkie

Mine burnt up last year, I got it replaced under warranty and immediatly sold it. i pulled the bolts out that hold it to the frame, then i cut the harness at the frame where is spices into the main harness. I took each wire and put a shrink yube on it and filled the empty end with silicone shrinked it all down then put silicone over everything again and wrapped it in electrical tape.
I havent had a problem with it and i go through alot of deep water and mud.
The swaybar light stays on all the time but i have gotten use to it. It matches my esp disabled light and o/d off light.

I replaced mine with a teraflex unit, more reliable better on road handling and super easy to disconnect

Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SFBayArea
I was wondering about the same thing what if I change it to the none rubi sway bar?

Also, how does this electric disonect works? Sway bar still attached to the links. How much of a flex gain should I get if I go with the non rubi sway bar and disconect it manualy?
In order to get more flex can I simply remove sway bar links on my existing Rubi sway bar?
It disconnects the bar almost in the middle letting both ends work indipendently

you will not gain flex switching to manuals or removing your sway bar links your flex will now be limited to your shock length/bumpstops.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

The electronic disconnect works using electromagnets to hold it together in the middle

That being said, 2 identical jeeps at max flex, one with electronic discos and one with full disconnected swaybar, the full disconnect will get slightly more flex

The electronic disconnect is not designed for massive flex seen during rock crawling, although it will make do. It also doesn't like lift kits over 4" unless you change the link length

Does the Flashpaq let you disable the light?

Alex
Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you like that TF S/T sway bar? it looks nice and i like the simplicty of disconnecting it.

Quick Reply: Sway bar