Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Swapping Door Locks

Old 03-20-2014 | 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default Swapping Door Locks

I have an 08 2 door jk with half doors all manual locks and am swapping them with a guy for full steel doors with all manual locks and Windows. Has anyone found a step by step guide on how to swap both doors and locks with each other?
Old 03-20-2014 | 06:04 AM
JK Freak

From: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Are you removing the locks or something if you're just trading doors, you literally would just swap doors. Remove the star headed bolts on the door hinges (they're black plastic and outside the jeep) and take the doors off. Sorry if I'm being a jerk, but that's what I got out of your question. Didn't mean to offend you or anything if you knew how to take your doors off.
Old 03-20-2014 | 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default locks

Originally Posted by Gforce!
Are you removing the locks or something if you're just trading doors, you literally would just swap doors. Remove the star headed bolts on the door hinges (they're black plastic and outside the jeep) and take the doors off. Sorry if I'm being a jerk, but that's what I got out of your question. Didn't mean to offend you or anything if you knew how to take your doors off.
Haha,

Not offended at all kind of new to swapping out parts with another vehicle, so I am making sure I do it right. But, yes I would like to swap out my locks with his so I am only carrying my one key for both doors and ignition. I don't know how easy this would be and was looking for either a step by step guide, or very detailed instructions on how to change the locks from manual half doors to manual full doors. I have an 08 jk 2 door and his is an 07 so we have the same interior.
Old 03-20-2014 | 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

hey i know exactly what you are wanting to do.. ive done it many times... on the half doors it is very easy... on the full metal doors not as easy but it can be done.. once you know how to do it , its not to bad .. just takes some time.. you have to pop the window glass out to get access to the lock area... their is a guide on here some place ill see if i can find it for you .. it would help to see.
Old 03-20-2014 | 07:57 AM
JK Junkie

here this will help you

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...tuators-15205/
Old 03-20-2014 | 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks thay definitely helps with the disassembly of the doors but I still need to find a step by step on how to change lock cylinders on a full manual door with a half manual door.
Old 03-22-2014 | 04:18 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by vivecuervo44
Thanks thay definitely helps with the disassembly of the doors but I still need to find a step by step on how to change lock cylinders on a full manual door with a half manual door.
just pull a little metal retaining clip and the lock cylinders fall right out.. really easy once you get to them.. thats the hard part on the full doors.. not bad on the half.
Old 04-14-2014 | 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

I found it easier on the full doors. Bigger hole to put my hand in.
Old 04-14-2014 | 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

With the half doors it is easier to pull the outside door handle and inside door handle off to allow yourself more room to work with to get the locks out. The inside handle is held on with two Phillips head screws and the outside is held on by two hexagonal nuts easily taken off with an adjustable wrench. Once the handle is off the metal retaining clip on the lock cylinder can be easily reached from the outside through the hole where the handle once was.
Old 04-14-2014 | 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Dotyank and I swapped our doors yesterday it took about an hour to swap both locks and swap both doors. He arrived at the meet a little early and fully disassembled his doors which would have added on about ten more minutes if he did it while I was there.

Quick Reply: Swapping Door Locks