Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Swapping 2 door to 4 door, any problems?

Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swapping 2 door to 4 door, any problems?

So as much as I love my 2 door rubi, it has been bugging me a bit on longer trips with the space. I like the fact on the 4 door that I can put a roof rack/awning/tent up there and have a bit more cargo space in the rear with the seats out.

Due to the money involved I am not looking to get a 3.6 and staying with the 3.8 so all the parts work. This is what I am planning to take off the truck as the dealer wont give me much extra for any aftermarket stuff.

- Aftermarket Rock Rails - Driver & Passenger side
- Lower Switch panel (center console) - Replace with OEM
- Iggee seat covers
- heated seat pads/wiring
- A-pillar Grabars
- A-pillar switch panel - Replace with OEM
- Front bumper - Replace with OEM
- Rear bumper with tire carrier - Replace with OEM, replace factory tire carrier and factory 3rd brake light
- Return TPMS and DRL settings to factory default
- HID headlights - Replace with OEM bulbs
- HID fog lights - Replace with OEM bulbs
- Tonneau cover - Does this fit on the 4 door trunk area at all?
- Trektop soft top (sell for $$)
- Front track bar - Replace with OEM
- Front lower control arms - Replace with OEM
- Front/Rear coils - Replace with OEM
- Front/Rear shocks - Replace with OEM
- Engo control box under hood
- Mr. Fusion decaled control box under hood
- Snorkel
- Tail light guards
- Spiderweb shade (Sell for $$)
- A-Pillar windhshield light brackets/mirror/lights
- Tire tread printed slush mats - Replace with OEM
- Put OEM rear seat/seat belts back in
- Aftermarket gas hood struts
- Front / Rear diff covers - Replace with OEM
- Evap Skid plate
- Sway bar Skid plate
- Transferring Sirius subscription
- Dash/Sound bar speakers - Replace with OEM

Now in a perfect world, I'd like to swap a few things between the unlimited and my own. They mentioned they would entertain the idea but would have to check with their service manager.
- HVAC faceplate (center) - has two holes for heated seat switches
- Center console (has hole for CB output)
- Driver / Passenger doors - limo tint on windows (not required if fine for dealer resale)
- Lower steering wheel surround / has hole and button for clutch bypass (not required if fine for dealer resale)
- Hood (has hole from snorkel on passenger side)
- Rear sway bar links
- Rear tail lights (reverse lights have driving lights cut and wired into them)
- Turn signal housings in front grill (Currently blacked out due to arb front having its own turn signals)

Now does anyone see anything that would not be a direct swap between the two?

Also, should I be asking what the gear ratio is on the unlimited? Currently have the rubi 2dr manual, new one would be a 4dr rubi manual. I assume they don't have multiple ratios for the same model and only should worry about it if I was to get a sahara/sport/etc..?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything sounds like it would switch over, just really time consuming. Also the gear ratio will be the same as your 2 door. And if you were selling your trek top how much would you want for it?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Junkie

Why not just get an ultra-light tow behind trailer/camper? Better for camping and gives you the space you need, while still leaving you the best parts of a 2 door to enjoy
Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NUKEM-10
Everything sounds like it would switch over, just really time consuming. Also the gear ratio will be the same as your 2 door. And if you were selling your trek top how much would you want for it?
With the same gear ratio and the same size engine, I imagine the 4 door is going to be even more sluggish then my present 2door... which is awful already lol

No idea what I am going to sell it for, would have to check what they go for these days. It is not the NX version so it is actually one piece, looks a lot better in my opinion, also has never leaked which I am not sure if it is due to the top, or the Jeep side. But either way it is an awesome top. I'm up in Canada and would be getting the 4doors top in the states again (usually free shipping within the states) so would go to Montana to pick it up from the border. About as close as i could get to Texas.

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Why not just get an ultra-light tow behind trailer/camper? Better for camping and gives you the space you need, while still leaving you the best parts of a 2 door to enjoy
I've thought about that... alot... I imagine the all in cost would be more then going with the 4 door though. I don't have access to a welder to make a good trailer and not a fan of a lot of the ultra lite ones. There are a couple nice ones but they still end up being a good chunk of change. Then I'm also having to carry a trailer each time and I would rather have it self contained.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Vladimer;3946768]With the same gear ratio and the same size engine, I imagine the 4 door is going to be even more sluggish then my present 2door... which is awful already lol

No idea what I am going to sell it for, would have to check what they go for these days. It is not the NX version so it is actually one piece, looks a lot better in my opinion, also has never leaked which I am not sure if it is due to the top, or the Jeep side. But either way it is an awesome top. I'm up in Canada and would be getting the 4doors top in the states again (usually free shipping within the states) so would go to Montana to pick it up from the border. About as close as i could get to Texas.

Yeah but i dont see that top weighing very much so you could ship it and ill pay for shipping. just a thought
Old 07-10-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

the only thing that i can see without looking into each part individually would be that your aftermarket rock rails will not fit. 4 door requires longer rails.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Stinkfoot
the only thing that i can see without looking into each part individually would be that your aftermarket rock rails will not fit. 4 door requires longer rails.
X2.........
Old 07-10-2014, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE=NUKEM-10;3946782]
Originally Posted by Vladimer
Yeah but i dont see that top weighing very much so you could ship it and ill pay for shipping. just a thought
That is true actually since it is frameless, I can send you a pm if they end up finding me a 4door

Originally Posted by Stinkfoot
Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
X2.........
Right! Good point, forgot to right sell beside it. Rather sad as I just finished sand blasting/chassis saver/mostalining them... they look awesome, bullet proof.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Vladimer;3946821][QUOTE=NUKEM-10;3946782]

That is true actually since it is frameless, I can send you a pm if they end up finding me a 4door

That sounds good just shoot me a PM to me just let me know. thanks.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 2 door to 4 door

I agree that the 4 door Unlimited is a LOT more convenient and has a convenience factor much greater than a trailer. Already mentioned are the rock rails....they definitely will NOT fit.

While I understand the feeling to take everything off the 2-door there are some items you may reconsider such as the snorkel. Removing it entails dealing with the air intake system and the hole in the hood etc.. In the end you may find that the hassle of removing and patching is not worth it and getting another one really is not that expensive. Add to that any accidental/incidental damage that may occur while removing the items you wish to keep. Another thing to consider is that as yet you do not know the year you will be getting. Some items are year specific and may not exchange easily between the two such as the lower switch panel.

Quick Reply: Swapping 2 door to 4 door, any problems?