Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

suspension upgrades ?help?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension upgrades ?help?

so im getting ready to install my 2.5 inch lift that comes with 4 2.5" spacers, brake line brackets, and shock brackets. i also have some jks swaybar disco's for this setup.

my question being what other suspension parts SHOULD i change, and what ones would make for a better ride without breaking the bank? part? and brand? i was thinking new shocks but what ones, and do i get ones for the lift and toss the brackets?

im a weekend worrior but my jeep is also my dd

thanks in advance.
tony
Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fattony21
4 2.5" spacers
tony
spacers or coils?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have played around with my suspension quite a bit and in my opinion at 2.5 and under you do not need much else, i would buy some high quality shocks like OME or Beilsten.

at 3" you start needing track bars and or brackets/ cam bolts or control arms.

at over 3.5 a whole lot of additional parts if you want the road handling to be anything like stock.

I just added AEV control arm drop brackets, what an improvement in ride, doing flip drag link this weekend and removing a frame mounted rear track bar bracket in favor of an axle mounted teraflex bracket, all to help with stearing and road handling.

I am just over 3.5"
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

spacers and the reason i went with a 2.5 was that it was my understand that i did not need much changed out, it is also my understanding that i can get alot better ride then stock by changing out my shocks?

so if im correct with that thinking? do i use the shock spacers with stock hight shocks or go to a set ment for a 2.5 inch lift?

also will the extra half inch keep me from popping my flares or do i need some bump stops and if what size, brand, kind??????
Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump stops would be for large tires to avoid hitting the fenders, with 35" tires and a 3" lift and 2" bump stops it would touch but no damage
Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Front bumpstops and rear links.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

rear links?

ill be running the 2.5" lift and 33s so how tall of bump stops am i looking at? 2.5"s right?

also

a good source told me ome nitrochargers would be my best bang for my buck, comments? anyone running them?

Last edited by fattony21; 01-19-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

rear links?
You want the swaybars to be level. When you lift and keep stock links, the bars are angled down. This can cause issues when flexed - or even on a lift at the shop. (to be more correct, it can cause issues for you, but we like to see the 'after' pics so be sure to post them ) So yes, get longer rear links and move your stock rears up front.

ill be running the 2.5" lift and 33s so how tall of bump stops am i looking at? 2.5"s right?
Yes, the general rule of thumb is to increase the bumpstop by the amount of lift.
Just depends. You can get by with less if you chop your flares or have shorter tires.

a good source told me ome nitrochargers would be my best bang for my buck, comments? anyone running them?
Pretty much everyone with an OME lift is running OME shocks. You will see very few negative comments.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-19-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

im working on learning how to post pics, dont know why its so hard for me. definitly doing something wrong there

i have jks qd for the front but ill look into longer ones for the rear

as for the bump stops i think ill go the 2.5, i like the look of the flats but im thinken it will look funny with this setup
Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

[QUOTE=fattony21;2044192]im working on learning how to post pics, dont know why its so hard for me. definitly doing something wrong there
/QUOTE]

The stickies up top
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/foru...-Forum-Support

Quick Reply: suspension upgrades ?help?