Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension too stiff!

Old 04-29-2019, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension too stiff!

I know you've heard this before, but after searching the forums extensively with no real answers I am now posting my question to you: I have a 2014 Wrangler JK Willys edition with: Rough Country 3.5" lift, R.C Vertex adjustable shocks, R.C. adjustable f&r control arms, R.C. dual steering stabilizer, Woods driveshafts, adjustable front track bar, Fuel Assault 17" wheels, 35" Antares Deep Digger tires, F&R skidplates, F&R steel aftermarket bumpers, 9500 lb. winch, Bushwacker fenders, etc., and I only use the Jeep for old logging roads, woods trails, with no real serious rock crawling or mudding. 75% of the miles are on paved roads.The Jeep is HORRIBLY STIFF and is almost unbearable to drive on bumpy roads or trails! I know it's a solid axle vehicle, and has a short wheelbase, but trust me, it is wayyyyy to stiff. I weigh 300 lbs., and when I sit on the front bumper and try to bounce the Jeep up and down it only moves about 3/4 of an inch! It already had the lift kit on the Jeep when I bough it - I added the Rough Country Vertex adjustable shocks, the adjustable control arms, the Woods driveshafts, and had it laser aligned at my local 4 wheel of road custom shop. No matter where I set the shocks (1-8) it makes no noticeable change to the ride. My girlfriend will not ride in he Jeep it is so stiff. I'm at my wits end on this one and as much as I love everything else about the Jeep, I am considering selling it if I can't fix the problem. Now I know it won't be perfect, but it has to be better than it is! A mechanic suggested stock springs with spacers - would that help? Thanks, Mark
Old 04-29-2019, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mark@markpicard.com
I know you've heard this before, but after searching the forums extensively with no real answers I am now posting my question to you: I have a 2014 Wrangler JK Willys edition with: Rough Country 3.5" lift, R.C Vertex adjustable shocks, R.C. adjustable f&r control arms, R.C. dual steering stabilizer, Woods driveshafts, adjustable front track bar, Fuel Assault 17" wheels, 35" Antares Deep Digger tires, F&R skidplates, F&R steel aftermarket bumpers, 9500 lb. winch, Bushwacker fenders, etc., and I only use the Jeep for old logging roads, woods trails, with no real serious rock crawling or mudding. 75% of the miles are on paved roads.The Jeep is HORRIBLY STIFF and is almost unbearable to drive on bumpy roads or trails! I know it's a solid axle vehicle, and has a short wheelbase, but trust me, it is wayyyyy to stiff. I weigh 300 lbs., and when I sit on the front bumper and try to bounce the Jeep up and down it only moves about 3/4 of an inch! It already had the lift kit on the Jeep when I bough it - I added the Rough Country Vertex adjustable shocks, the adjustable control arms, the Woods driveshafts, and had it laser aligned at my local 4 wheel of road custom shop. No matter where I set the shocks (1-8) it makes no noticeable change to the ride. My girlfriend will not ride in he Jeep it is so stiff. I'm at my wits end on this one and as much as I love everything else about the Jeep, I am considering selling it if I can't fix the problem. Now I know it won't be perfect, but it has to be better than it is! A mechanic suggested stock springs with spacers - would that help? Thanks, Mark
one of the problems with suspension stiffness is that things feel differently to different people. a lot of people really like the Metalcloak springs. but, i had them with the OME shocks on my last Jeep and thought they were super stiff. currently, i run Synergy springs with King 2.5 shocks. really like them.

i will say RC springs have a reputation for being very stiff. i know nothing about their Vertex shocks.

Evo plush rids with the Evo spec Kings ride fairly smoothly. but, with the amount of weight you have, they will sag.
The following users liked this post:
iloozealot (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Assuming your shocks are working correctly, I would do some research on spring rate and pick something that better suits your needs, if you combine this with a soft tire compound and air down a bit it can really make a difference to ride quality.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

As mentioned previous, sounds like the springs are too stiff for the Jeep's weight. My quick and dirty check (w/ swaybar disconnected) is to get the axles crossed by driving up ramps, rocks, whatever it takes to get most/all of the (fully loaded) weight on two diagonal tires. Almost touching the bump stop on one side, and near full shock extension on the other means that the springs are soft enough to get full travel in this type of trail situation.

The following users liked this post:
iloozealot (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 07:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I always thought Rough Country was a bit on the soft side. What is the weight rating on your tires and how much psi are you running? People make the mistake of installing E rated tires and 50+ psi which will give you a rough ride.
Rough country also uses drop pitman arms as well as drop brackets on the track bar. This lowers the roll center of the jeep which will make it more jarring when off road as the jeep will roll more.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I always thought Rough Country was a bit on the soft side. What is the weight rating on your tires and how much psi are you running? People make the mistake of installing E rated tires and 50+ psi which will give you a rough ride.
Rough country also uses drop pitman arms as well as drop brackets on the track bar. This lowers the roll center of the jeep which will make it more jarring when off road as the jeep will roll more.
very good point on the E rated tires. get D rated tires and chalk test. will likely end up around 28-30 psi. ride will be much nicer.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I recommend a C rated tire.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Agree - check your tire's rating and psi. Then springs. I run 4.5" Evo Plush - I think they make a 3.5" too and even less...and like mentioned here, they'll sag a bit but the ride is sweet when combined with the right shock to minimize sway and compression.

Quick Reply: Suspension too stiff!