Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension and Tire Question

Old 10-04-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension and Tire Question

Ok so i did some searches and maybe someone can point me in the right direction but if not i'm in somewhat of a dilema right now.

Here's what i have:
09 Unlimited X
3.73 gears
auto
Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper
Smittybuilt XRC Winch
Rough Country 2.5" series II BB

I was going to go for 33's (305/70 R16) but after installing the lift i think the front is sagging a little. So I was told i could fit 35's on it but i'm just having a hard time seeing a 35 fit nicely under the fenders and still be able to have some wheel travel.

My question, i've seen some people that may be running spacers stacked. Is this true? Can you do this and still be safe. I'd go for the new RC 3.5" lift kit, but i just installed teh 2.5" BB and would hate to fork out more money on another lift when i could put it towards tires.

Does anyone have any pics of a 2.5" BB, RC if possible on 35's. And i was thinking of doing a body lift but i think i can get spacers for less money. If you used spacers did you put the smaller spacers on first then the BB or the BB then the spacers.

I just think 33's are gonna look pretty small but i think 35's may be a little big. I was going for a 315/75 R16. Probably duratracs or mtr-k.

I'll try to get some pics up tommorrow of the stock setup and the new BB lift to show the difference.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You will regret it if you don't go for the 35's on an unlimited. If you wheel it, I would recommend swapping out the spacers and put a set of coils on to fit the 35's. You should be able to sell the BB spacers and recover some of your costs. If you don't wheel it, you are likely fine with the BB and 35's.

I did the same thing. I put a 2.5" TF BB on for a week and swapped out for an OME coil lift due to clearance issues with the 35" MT/R's. Got most of my money back by selling the BB on the forum.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 PM
JK Junkie

Go with the 315/75R15 Duratracs. No regrets here

As for the lift, I agree, you will want something slightly larger than the 2.5" budget boost to feel comfortable with your setup, especially if you go off-road.

A 2.5" (or greater) coil lift will yield more lift than a 2.5" budget boost, so that would be a great upgrade path. The 3.5" RC lift looks very nice. I went with the 3.25" lift myself, mainly because the 3.5" kit didn't exist when I bought mine

If you are worried about the money you have tied up in your BB, I wouldn't. You should be able to sell your BB used here on the forum and recoupe a larger percent of it's original price. Thats what I did with my old 2.5" TF BB.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I hate it when this happens. You read about just go big now or you'll regret it later, well i didn't listen and thought that would be enough. Nope want more and 35's haha. Well i guess i'll see what i can get into a 3.5" RC lift for now. Well here's some pics of before and after as of now for the budget boost. Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	93060Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-05-24_14.44.49..jpg
Views:	48
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	93061
Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Would i be ok for now with the 315's and later run some flat fenders? That should give me alot of room right?

Quick Reply: Suspension and Tire Question