Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension setup with 37's

Old 08-15-2015, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension setup with 37's

While trying to figure out what I need to trim with my new 37's I noticed my rear suspension seems to be binding, it's a long way from the shocks being bottomed out, it's no where near the bump stops and the tires aren't touching anywhere. I glanced underneath it and didn't see anything real obvious, but I had to get back to work. Any one have any ideas on what it could be? Also I need some shock recommendations, I need to add bumpstop in the front, but I want to keep as much travel as I can so I am planning to change the shocks to get a little more down travel, I jut don't know what shocks to buy or what to measure before I order.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-950455338.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	549.1 KB
ID:	621528  
Old 08-15-2015, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

Front rubs here, I'm going to cut that off today.

Name:	image-2507722755.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	541.6 KB
ID:	621529  
Old 08-15-2015, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Shock almost fully compressed, and I'm guessing probably shouldn't be compressed more than that.

Name:	image-516694040.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	621530  
Old 08-15-2015, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

This how much shock is left in the rear when it stops traveling. Sorry for all of the posts with single pics, app won't let me post multiple pics

Name:	image-2987380760.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	536.4 KB
ID:	621531  
Old 08-15-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raise your rear lower shock mount. You're probably being limited by your rear sway bar as well.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Oh suspension setup is a rock krawler 2.5" max travel with a synergry rear track bar. Shocks are fox's for 3" of lift I think but I'm really not sure about that, my jeep should have rk rrd's on it but something happened to them when being sent back to rk to be rebuilt, that's a long story that doesn't belong here.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shocks shouldn't be measured by lift height and when they are its very possible its not setup to use all travel for your specific jeep. Best off measuring full bump and collapsed lengths. Add or remove bump to keep tires off body or trim body. Normally you leave about an inch of shaft so on a big hit the bumps may compress alot more and still save shock from bottoming out
Old 08-15-2015, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
Shocks shouldn't be measured by lift height and when they are its very possible its not setup to use all travel for your specific jeep. Best off measuring full bump and collapsed lengths. Add or remove bump to keep tires off body or trim body. Normally you leave about an inch of shaft so on a big hit the bumps may compress alot more and still save shock from bottoming out
I know shocks shouldn't be measured by lift height, this kit was used when I got it. It came with the rk rrd shocks, but they needed to be rebuilt, I had a shop ship them out and they never made it back to me. The shop replaced them with these fox's, I was so frustrated after 3 months I just said screw and took the foxs because I didn't know any better at the time and they also worked just fine for my use of the jeep at the time. Now I have started wheeling it and need to maximize my travel where in the past My off-road was just beach driving
Old 08-15-2015, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's tough to bottom out the rear unless your lifting in a f don't and rear corner - like going through a ditch at an angle. Or, you can leave the front connected and lift in the rear, that worked for me.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As SeaBass said, it's hard to get everything to bottom out in the garage with jacks and stands. You can do it, but you normally need to remove the tires unless you have very large jack stands or a lift. Best way to do it is to raise Jeep on stands as good as you can (front or rear), remove the coil springs, and remove the tire that will be drooping. Also disconnect the sway bar. Leave the tire on the side that you are raising to check clearances. Just be very careful. I do this one end at a time (front or rear) with four stands and leaving the other end on the ground with tires.

Quick Reply: Suspension setup with 37's