Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension and ride quality - not another lift thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
When you are looking at these coils that use a dead zone on top (tender) They are made for long travel and have nothing to do with ride quality. If you don't run a long travel shock the "dead zone" type coils are not a benefit. Just to be clear, you are going to need other stuff like tuned shocks and air bumps to drive like a pre runner with plenty of up travel.
Yep mentioned in my first post.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
OP, If you're not looking for very much lift RK has a 1.5" coil that would yield a better rate than your current coil, with minimal lift. When paired with a better shock absorber, you can achieve a much better ride for the trails you're traveling.
Yamaha or RK... where can I find the 1.5" coils? This sounds short enough that I don't need any relocation bracketry or extended lines, correct?

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Just to be clear, you are going to need other stuff like tuned shocks and air bumps to drive like a pre runner with plenty of up travel.
Understood.

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
To "go fast" you will need a good amount of well controlled up travel. Low COG setups are not the ticket for going fast....

Hope that helps. There is a lot of good information in this thread...
RK
Yes, lots of great info, thanks to everyone. I'm not trying to win baja here, I just feel that 10mph over these washboards is ridiculous and I should at least be able to double if not triple that.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BLK08JK
Yamaha or RK... where can I find the 1.5" coils? This sounds short enough that I don't need any relocation bracketry or extended lines, correct? Understood. Yes, lots of great info, thanks to everyone. I'm not trying to win baja here, I just feel that 10mph over these washboards is ridiculous and I should at least be able to double if not triple that.
1.5's are 4 door coils. Same coil in the 2 door 2.5" kits.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have to look into RK tripple rate springs. When I do my long arm upgrade in the future.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last weekend I went for a group run and within seconds was left in the dust - my front suspension sounded loose and noisy and my rear end kept sliding out left and right. Yes I did air down and disconnected sway bar. I'll be honest that I felt pretty annoyed and defeated because I don't know where to start. Would shocks alone help? Are the springs too stiff? Need better bumpstops?
I'm in Phoenix, so I likely wheel some of the same terrain as you.
What were the guys running that left you in the dust? That would be my first comparison.
The fancy bumpstops are only going to be usefull hitting larger whoops/objects, they not do anything for you on washboards.
Hate to tell you, but 35's or 37's will make the biggest difference, as the tires angle of approach is more favorable.
I'm running simple springs/shocks (MetalCloak/OME)and do not get left in the dust. I had an XJ for 17 years that ran 2.5" OME springs/shocks and that thing would haul the mail on the "roads" to the trails. Both of those setups use essentially a "single stage" coil and simple shock... decent stuff, but nothing high dollar or complicated.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I'm in Phoenix, so I likely wheel some of the same terrain as you.
What were the guys running that left you in the dust? That would be my first comparison.
The fancy bumpstops are only going to be usefull hitting larger whoops/objects, they not do anything for you on washboards.
Hate to tell you, but 35's or 37's will make the biggest difference, as the tires angle of approach is more favorable.
I'm running simple springs/shocks (MetalCloak/OME)and do not get left in the dust. I had an XJ for 17 years that ran 2.5" OME springs/shocks and that thing would haul the mail on the "roads" to the trails. Both of those setups use essentially a "single stage" coil and simple shock... decent stuff, but nothing high dollar or complicated.
It really ran the gamut and there were over a dozen rigs so I couldn't for sure list what was on each, but I saw 35's and 37's, unknown lifts, bilstein and fox shocks, and there was even a stock 4 door along. Which is where I don't know if he had the same bumpy experience I was having and just didn't care cuz that's what jeeps do. I left the group rather quickly as I couldn't keep speed comfortably.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So which is it really? Are there "usable" triple rate springs - using all three rates? On RK's website, looking at component upgrades is the only place I see triple rated springs mentioned, all the kits refer to them as multi-rate. I've been trying to find the right builds and videos, the only vids are Teraflex Prerunner stuff. If you know of others please post them up. I mean the RK max travel kit looks similar to the TF Prerunner kit minus some bracket stuff. Both of them get into long arms, caster and pinion adjustments where I'm too much of a noob to do this myself. RK's website is difficult to determine the purpose and difference between kits. 2.5 Stock Mod System, overland, max travel, flex system, x-factor - all Multi Rate Coil Springs, overland vs flex for example? Overland has some rear links and front brakelines? Flex doesn't? Originally I wasn't even thinking of lift, I'm not trying to run bigger tires as my 3.8/trans combo is anemic now with 32's. But there are zero multi or triple rate coils without increasing height. Shocks and bumpstops - easy peasy. Coils, not so much. Still a bit confused - Dirtman saying RK not truely triple rate, RK saying AEV is more overland tuned, RK website using muti-rate/triple rate interchangeably and I don't fully see the benefits of having 5 different 2.5" kits - one adjusts only caster, the other pinion and caster, makes it confusing to know what is actually required to make it ride well.
Ok if you want something small then just do RK 1.5" or synergy 2" coils. Some better shocks and call it a day. May need some front lower control arms. Or just keep your stock setup. Could always get some Rubi shocks and sone higher rate stock coils.

Edit: forgot we were talking go fast here. Dude you really want to go fast then start looking at the coilover kits with second set of triple bypass shocks and stuff like that. Lol.

Last edited by DunnyBunny; 05-19-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really ran the gamut and there were over a dozen rigs so I couldn't for sure list what was on each, but I saw 35's and 37's, unknown lifts, bilstein and fox shocks, and there was even a stock 4 door along. Which is where I don't know if he had the same bumpy experience I was having and just didn't care cuz that's what jeeps do. I left the group rather quickly as I couldn't keep speed comfortably.
I know exactly where you are coming from as I ran the stock Ruby springs/shocks for a while and could not believe how crappy it was... well, comparing to my old/sold XJ. I figured it may be more related to a short wheel base thing. I too used to fall back and/or stack up other rigs in the group. Once I had MC coils and OME shocks, I traveled with the group in much more comfort/control. I'm not saying it's butter smooth, but it is very much improved... enough to be able to roll along with the group without hesitation.
If you want to go whole hog with bypass shocks and air bumps and dual/tripple rate this or that more power to you (I bet it would ride awesome)... all I'm saying is that for any of the groups I've been out with, that high dollar stuff is not "needed" to keep up comfortably.
Also keep in mind, the tire diameter is going to play a very large role. Larger diameter will be more apt to "roll over" irregularities than a smaller diameter tire.

Reference - Last time out to Box Canyon, Price Road at 50+mph no issues, faster sections of the wash 30-40mph, no issues... same thing on the road coming down from Sunflower Mine... and the tail end of Hackberry Creek... all of that is much faster than the group travels. Oh, those speeds are when there is good visibility/open road.

Last edited by Mike H.; 05-19-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Thought I'd update my post for some closure, thanks to all who participated!

I ended up with the synergy stage 1 two inch lift, added fox 2.0 shocks and King bumpstops. Also got AEV geometry correction brackets for front control arms.

I just finished the install and its riding nice over the potholes in my street, planning on a quick trip this weekend to test more.

The most difficult part was cutting the bumpstop tubes straight so the new Kings had good flat contacts. My new longer rear swaybar links also rubbed against the stock tire/rim so I had to mount them on the inside of the brackets.

I haven't added the AEV geo brackets yet, no flighty steering so maybe don't need them until I have larger tires?

Quick Reply: Suspension and ride quality - not another lift thread