Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension part that has the biggest impact on road "feel"?

Old 05-18-2012, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension part that has the biggest impact on road "feel"?

Suspension part that has the biggest impact on road "feel"?

After reading tons of threads on lifts and shocks and springs, and on tires, I am wondering what the consensus is on what has the biggest impact on on-road ride and feel.

Is it the springs? shocks? tires? control arms?

I have been researching lifts, and looking at the 2.5-3 inch range. Narrowed it down to the Rock Krawler 2.5 inch max travel, the OME kit put together by Northridge 4x4, the Rancho 3 inch kit and possibly the AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT.

Right now I am riding a stock hard top 4dr JK with an ARB front bumper. As soon as I added that extra weight to the front, the springs (shocks?) were awful. Hitting a speed bump is like hitting a wall and riding about 25 PSI on road on the stock MTRs with about 30K on them is SO LOUD since adding the bumper. I only wheel on trails a couple of times a year (weekend trips) and a few more times on the beach in the summer and some remote fishing access. So I like the increased clearance to protect the bottom (eventually run 35s), but mostly its a daily driver/family hauler.

I had the same thing happen with 2 TJs that I owned previously, I went with the OME HD kit with both of those, and really I did not notice that much of an improved ride trying to compensate for the heavier bumpers and larger tires. Also developed Death Wobble on the second TJ so I am a little gun shy if I am not improving my ride significantly with the JK suspension upgrade.

Which component do you think has the most bearing on a smooth road ride?

I see the question asked a lot "which lift rides best on road" but I am asking what part affects that road feel the most. Can I make a lift "softer" by getting MD instead of HD shocks/springs?

Quick Reply: Suspension part that has the biggest impact on road "feel"?