Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension lift - What's REALLY Needed

Old 10-13-2013, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kh202
Brake line extensions, bump stops.....
Yeah thats why I posted about RK lift really hard to beat that price for everything you get with it. You can do just a budget but if you want to unhook your front sway bar and get so good flexing will need the supporting mods like brake lines and bump stops. If your just going for looks get a budget one.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
I think for the money the RK 2.5 max travel lift you get from Northridge is one of the most complete lift for the price. You get lower control arms, springs, shocks, extended brake lines, bump stops, track bar, and quick disconnect end links. I got the lift, wheel spacers, and exhaust spacers for $1,680. For everything you get really hard to beat that price.
if you're looking for the easy path, this is it. I built mine specific, but a kit like this from Northridge, is about the same thing I did. The best kit for you, is the one that suits your needs and budget. From there, research integrity and warranty. Buy from that notion, not opinions.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

So, how did you determine you want a 3" lift?
You are going to get 20 different answers to your question and more then likely will just add to the confusion of buying a lift.
You can use the search function and see that this question is asked almost every day and gets the same type of responses.
Learning about all the individual parts to the suspension and steering system will lend you to decide what you need in an suspension upgrade.
There are stickies on every forum that go over suspensions and their parts, I would encourage you to read them.
Good luck with the build.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

As dirtman said, this is why I brought up the budget boost. It gets your rig up a bit and will make room for larger tires, but its not going to break the bank and gives what you first mentioned. Dirtman is exactly right. Once you determine exactly what you want start looking for that. Its the same way I built my JK. I had my JK for about 3 1/2 months before I bought anything. I searched forums and different vendor sites. I found my prefered vendor for certain things and vendors for others while pricing everything out. I also looked at hundreds of JK pics before I made my choice in suspension. I wheel when I can, but my choice in lift and tires gave me the perfect mix of what "I" was after. Personally, the research part is the funnest part of building a rig. You find exactly what you want and then have the other feelings after, but seeing the results from your research certainly makes it worth it!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

To help more, here is a 2.5" lift on 35"s.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3836508982.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	504819   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1487794440.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	504820  
Old 10-13-2013, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
I think for the money the RK 2.5 max travel lift you get from Northridge is one of the most complete lift for the price. You get lower control arms, springs, shocks, extended brake lines, bump stops, track bar, and quick disconnect end links. I got the lift, wheel spacers, and exhaust spacers for $1,680. For everything you get really hard to beat that price.
When it comes to this kit. Is there any welding or can I bolt this up in my driveway with a few 12 packs?
Old 10-13-2013, 03:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A complete quality BB like TeraFlex is a great start and will get you onto 35s safely. Later if/when you add heavy bumpers and winch you simply swap out the spacers and factory coils for lift coils. There is absolutely no need for control arms or adjustable trackbars with a 2.5" lift.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 10-13-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
A complete quality BB like TeraFlex is a great start and will get you onto 35s safely. Later when if/when you add heavy bumpers and winch you simply swap out the spacers and factory could for lift coils. There is absolutely no need for control arms or adjustable trackbars with a 2.5" lift.
x2 on this. My buddy just put this on a few weeks ago and I was impressed. Great budget friendly lift
Old 10-13-2013, 03:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Related to Dirtmans comments, you have to consider that everyone has different needs and very different vehicles (which is why there are so many opinions). If you have a 2-door, do your homework!! Yes, Rock Krawler makes good stuff, but is your budget ready for driveshaft mods when you find out the 2.5" nets 4"+? And those Bilstein shocks that a lot of guys like and that ride nice and a little firm - on my light two door they road like pure sh##.

As a last comment, my first lift was a TF BB. The ride and handling of my 2013 JK was so bad after that lift, that I almost parked it and rented a car. Many mistakes later, and I'm finally content with the Northridge OME kit and AEV brackets. However, I regret being talked into the HD coils....
Old 10-13-2013, 03:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Related to Dirtmans comments, you have to consider that everyone has different needs and very different vehicles (which is why there are so many opinions). If you have a 2-door, do your homework!! Yes, Rock Krawler makes good stuff, but is your budget ready for driveshaft mods when you find out the 2.5" nets 4"+? And those Bilstein shocks that a lot of guys like and that ride nice and a little firm - on my light two door they road like pure sh##. As a last comment, my first lift was a TF BB. The ride and handling of my 2013 JK was so bad after that lift, that I almost parked it and rented a car. Many mistakes later, and I'm finally content with the Northridge OME kit and AEV brackets. However, I regret being talked into the HD coils....
X2 on everything.

Quick Reply: Suspension lift - What's REALLY Needed