Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension lift - What's REALLY Needed

Old 10-12-2013, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension lift - What's REALLY Needed

Hi all,

I have a 2011 2 door 4WD Sport that is bone stock except for a 1" body lift and larger tires and wheels. I want to get a suspension lift. One reason is that I want better shocks than stock and while I am doing that anyway I might as well replace the springs too. It is my daily driver but I do off road it , not a lot but 2-3 times a year. I see kits anywhere from $400 to $3,000. I'm not a millionaire so I am looking at the lower end of that price range. am looking for about a 3" suspension lift and get rid of the body lift. there are a log to kits out there. I am wondering what I really need.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends on what you want it to be.

There isn't a lift that won't bolt on and be driveable.

Study the lifts that are available. More expensive lifts get you better quality components, or more components, or both. Learn what the expensive kits give you and then consider what's missing from less expensive kits and decide what you need based on this:
  • A good lift should give you height and clearance, good articulation off road, and good handling on road. If you only drive your Jeep off road, the lift doesn't need good street manners. Likewise, if your Jeep mainly takes you to work then the lift should give you handling that is as good or better than stock even if it isn't a trail monster.
Its up to you.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Start by deciding what size tires you want, then choose a lift after that.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good DD kits are usually complete kits like AEV, rock krawler and ICON. Teraflex too. Those kits seem to have the best DD and are probably the top selling brands. Good all around performers.

Lifting it requires a few things to keep a good DD. Control arms or brackets, trac bars or brackets, quality shocks ( personally fox2.0 ), and depending on how high you go, drag link flip. I
found control arms and fox 2.0 shocks dramatically improved my ride with 3.5' lift. So think about arms if you're high
Old 10-13-2013, 12:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

A body lift plus a suspension lift is a great combination to have.
Reasons:
-Body lift allows for larger tyres on stock suspension (not really applicable in your case)
-body lift will allow for more articulation without rubbing so your lift can have better flex.
-extra height is almost always a good thing(depends on centre of gravity and turning at speed) and less scraping of guards.

I would keep it and add suspension lift if possible.

Good luck finding the lift that suits your needs.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:05 AM
JK Freak

I would look at "Budget Boosts." Here are a couple of examples. There are quite a few of these types of kits. Check out Northridge4x4, Qudratec, Rebel Off Road. Hope this helps you out. If youre staying with stock axles it would probably be wise to go no bigger than a 35" tire. (Thats debatable, but the bigger the heavier and more expensive) I went with a 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor lift. Couldnt be happier with it. I cant remember, but I think if you go over 3"s of lift you will want to replace your front drive shaft. (Please correct me if Im wrong)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3378326325.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	504703   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3829235643.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	504704  
Old 10-13-2013, 02:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think for the money the RK 2.5 max travel lift you get from Northridge is one of the most complete lift for the price. You get lower control arms, springs, shocks, extended brake lines, bump stops, track bar, and quick disconnect end links. I got the lift, wheel spacers, and exhaust spacers for $1,680. For everything you get really hard to beat that price.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2627676957.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	504706  
Old 10-13-2013, 03:12 AM
JK Freak

Holy crap! That kit wasnt available when I got mine from NR4x4.. Thats frikin awesome! That is a hard deal to beat right there! Thanks for pointing that one out. I was trying to help a friend find a kit and I think he would be good with that one. Now if I could find a good set of 35"s that wont break the bank. I went with Treadwright because of value. Granted I love the tires and they do great everywhere, they dont let you air down because it voids the warranty. Any help here? I thought I was good at finding deals, but damn thats a good one you found there! Not even my thread, but thanks for the help dude!!!

Last edited by Philip *AZ*; 10-13-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Body lift, OME 2 inch coils/springs, SYNERGY control arms, JKS track bars.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TJJK
Body lift, OME 2 inch coils/springs, SYNERGY control arms, JKS track bars.
Brake line extensions, bump stops.....

Quick Reply: Suspension lift - What's REALLY Needed