Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension Issue: Going from "18" to "19" Coils Worth It Over 70 Pounds?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Issue: Going from "18" to "19" Coils Worth It Over 70 Pounds?

Final question on this---I promise.

I added approximately 70 additional pounds to the front of my stock 2012 Rubicon Unlimited. I got up underneath and verified that it has MOPAR Coil Springs Part Number #52126318AC (front) and #68004459AA (rear). The front end seems to have dropped about ¾ of an inch over the rear. From the center of the wheel to the outer edge of the fender flare measures 20.5 inches in front and 21.25 in the rear.

My question is this: one person suggested that replacing the front MOPAR Coil Spring #52126318AC with some stiffer MOPAR Coil Springs #52126319AC and a ½ spacer would be the remedy to re-adjust the ride height and also control the heavy front end from diving too much under braking. Would adding these slightly stiffer MOPAR Coil Springs (19s versus 18s) cause any adverse side-effects to handling?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm dealing with the same issue (to a larger extent) on the front of my Rubicon. I've lost almost an inch after the addition of my bumper and winch. I talked to the Rancho rep, and he suggested going to a stiffer spring (which i would have to source from Rustys) or using a 3/4 inch spacer. You could try a stiffer spring since you are dealing with a factory setup, that is actually the route i plan on taking before I move onto a coil spacer.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly....sounds like we're in the same boat.

We just have to be careful not to over-shoot the front end spring/spacer combo where we put that front up too high. I am thinking 19-springs and a 1/2 spacer, but keep getting conflicting info. Heck, even the local Jeep dealer selling MOPAR parts keeps telling me they have no idea. It's frustrating. Most of the aftermarket springs lift 1.5 to 3 inches which is too much. They're not necessarily stiffer...just longer. Meaning, the front end will still get bouncy really easy on rutted roads and dive pretty hard when you hit the brakes.

Quick Reply: Suspension Issue: Going from "18" to "19" Coils Worth It Over 70 Pounds?