Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension and d44 upgrade question

Old 04-11-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually pretty happy with it until I went out to barnwell mountain this weekend. Everything did great but at full stuff I drug a little on my rear fenders. So something has to give with them. Im thinking im going to do a 1.25bl and remove the guts from the rear fender. Maybe do a trim job on them. Im super happy I did the pinch seam cut down prior to going. A friend decided he didnt want to cut on his new wrangler and drug his tires into the pinch seams pretty hard. This weekends trip is what got me curious about upgrading the suspension. So do you think there would be a problem changing the coil springs to a 4 inch dual rate coil and adding new shocks? It should be a direct replacement but ride better. I have some coil sag as of now. My right passenger rear sags a little im assuming because of the weight of the fuel tank. Also I have those heavy AEV bumpers front and rear. If so what would be your suggestion for an upgraded coil?
Old 04-11-2014, 03:42 PM
JK Junkie

LOL all these jeeps sag a little to the passenger side. I wouldnt worry about springs until you get all your steering sorted out.. 37's are big and heavy. you will want a tougher draglink, tierod and track bar. Get the 37's and mount them up then see where you have to go. Plus are your ACOS spacer already in the highest position?
Old 04-11-2014, 03:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Everything did great but at full stuff I drug a little on my rear fenders. So something has to give with them. Im thinking im going to do a 1.25bl and remove the guts from the rear fender. Maybe do a trim job on them. Im super happy I did the pinch seam cut down prior to going.
You might consider just adding another 1/2" to the rear bumpstop instead of going taller.

If you are stuck on getting new coils, MetalCloak and RocKrawler are getting good reviews for ride quality and extended length.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-11-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

I will look into the steering upgrades. As far as the ACOS system I have to look and see if it is in the highest position. the problem is I dont think they are on the back so it really wont help raising it.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

If you can adjust the front ones higher and it works out good then just buy coil spacers for the rear that matches the height
Old 04-12-2014, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Thats actually a solid idea. Now I feel kinda stupid. I just looked at the acos and it is at the absolute lowest setting. So I can crank it up a lot if I wanted too. Im on shift today but will be checking that out tomorrow. I might just order another set for the rear. Its only about 250 for another set.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:57 PM
JK Junkie

Get your bigger tires and see what you need, a set of rubber spacers to level you out will only be like 50 bux. That will save you enough for a drag link or almost a set of good balljoints.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Txguntrader
Thats actually a solid idea. Now I feel kinda stupid. I just looked at the acos and it is at the absolute lowest setting. So I can crank it up a lot if I wanted too. Im on shift today but will be checking that out tomorrow. I might just order another set for the rear. Its only about 250 for another set.
Think it all the way through. The front acos have a minimum height of 1". The rear acos have a minimum height of 2", so if you raise the rear 2, you also need to raise the front 2" to match.

If you are currently at, say 3" total (coil + acos) up front, you will need to go up to 5" up front to stay level after adding the rear acos. Right? And since you don't actually know what coils you have, could you be at 4" now? And adding rear acos would put the front at 6"?

And I think the rears are $350, not $250.

Didn't see a pic of the front driveshaft, but assuming it is still stock, do you have the funds allocated for a replacement? And back to previous posts, are the links adjustable or tall enough to keep the swaybars level at the new height? Are the brakelines long enough? Bumpstops tall enough? Did you research the cost of a steering flip? Whatever else...

Trimming your flares would be a whole lot less work, and probably significantly cheaper. Anyway, just a heads-up to think your plans all the way through.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-12-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I do have alot more researching to do before I commit to anything. I already have an aftermarket front drive shaft and will probably go ahead and buy a new rear as well. I'm going to go ahead and buy aftermarket steering components as well. I'm willing to put 3 grand into a better Setup. Whatever that may be. If it comes out cheaper then that will be a Plus and score points with the wife.

Quick Reply: Suspension and d44 upgrade question