Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension Choices

Old 04-08-2016, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would throw out teraflex as they have poor geometry on the rear with short uppers that cause a lot of pinion rotation during articulation. I would not use rough country as the quality of their joints is questionable. Same with Rubicon Express. There are other long arm kits out there like Currie, Clayton, Genright, and Synergy. Look at the location of the mounts, most will have frame side brackets that hang down and can cause clearance issues. If you can look at install instructions on the different kits to see how much welding and cutting is involved. It is not a stretch to spend more then the kit cost to do the install. Don't attempt to do a long arm in you garage over a day with no tools and no experience cutting and welding. I agree with others about installing and learning about your suspension but if you are asking about different kits like in your op you likely don't have the knowledge and tools to install a long arm kit. I would agree to look into a custom shop and not 4wd parts as they are decent at installing bolt on kits but not so good when it comes to welding and fabricating. You should still review install instructions of the kit you buy to make sure what you bought was installed right. I have seen several rigs come out of the shop with control arms put on backwards, poor pinion angles, and bump stop/shocks not properly set up.
Thanks. I definitely don't have the tools or knowledge to do the install myself. I am stuck in an area with limited resources and not many shops that do the work. The best install shop in my area only deals with Rough County and won't install a lift I could buy and bring to them. I will compare and look at all the different lifts and options, one thing I'm good at is reading and learning.. Haha first thing is to find someone to install and then I'll decide on a lift. Thanks for all the feedback... It's nice to have a place to come and get good advice and opinions.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman

I would agree to look into a custom shop and not 4wd parts as they are decent at installing bolt on kits but not so good when it comes to welding and fabricating. You should still review install instructions of the kit you buy to make sure what you bought was installed right. I have seen several rigs come out of the shop with control arms put on backwards, poor pinion angles, and bump stop/shocks not properly set up.

You're not familiar with the guys at 4wd hardware in Ohio it seems. Jimmy, the shop supervisor, is a great welder and fabricator. He personally looks over the vehicles before they leave even if he didn't do the work. I would let him weld on my vehicle if that means anything. If you've had a different experience at another 4wp store, that is fine, the guys at the Columbiana 4Wheel Drive Hardware location are excellent though.

I'm fairly familiar with your area and there are a few shops/people in the area I can recommend for a kit install (regardless of brand you choose). Give us a call at 518-270-9822 and ask for Tom or send me a message.

RK
Old 04-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Before dropping the coin on a new lift may I suggest that you find local Jeeper's who have various lifts and take a ride. That is the only way you will determine what is best for you. Ride is 100% subjective. For me I am running a modified EVO Enforcer with 3 inch Plush Ride coils paired with Rancho MT 7000. As for paying a shop to install that is entirely up to you but chances are if you have basic hand tools and can follow instructions you can do the install in your driveway. If the requires welding find a good welder. Nothing worse than getting crappy welds and you rip a control arm mount off while wheeling.

One lift that has not been mentioned is the Rancho 4 in crawler long arm RS66105B

R/
Will
Old 04-08-2016, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id suggest looking into issues that others have had with their lifts and especially having to remove control arms to rebuild joints at a later date. Im a big fan of teraflex and theyve always treated me amazing. Although, ive read numerous posts that say that the joints on their arms need rebuilding pretty often. I have heard great things about the evo arms and they also make a bolt on/weld on long arm kit. Also, might want to look into what type of spring you would wish to go with. I choose linear springs because like a very consistent spring feedback. Linear seem to have much less coil bind also. Also, depends on how heavy of a rig you plan to build.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
You're not familiar with the guys at 4wd hardware in Ohio it seems. Jimmy, the shop supervisor, is a great welder and fabricator. He personally looks over the vehicles before they leave even if he didn't do the work. I would let him weld on my vehicle if that means anything. If you've had a different experience at another 4wp store, that is fine, the guys at the Columbiana 4Wheel Drive Hardware location are excellent though.

I'm fairly familiar with your area and there are a few shops/people in the area I can recommend for a kit install (regardless of brand you choose). Give us a call at 518-270-9822 and ask for Tom or send me a message.

RK
I believe that is the shop that Johnny that owns Jkfreaks had a lift installed and they put front lowers were put on backwards.

If you are looking for a shop in Reno/Spark Nate's Precision is where to go. He is a great fabricator, GM certified Tech, and has built several award winning show trucks and jeeps. Engine swaps, Jeep stretches, custom suspensions, axles, you name it.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why you guys trying to kill my hustle? Lol
I personally know a few people that work there and I'm certainly not impressed. Also their wait time is absolutely ridiculous. Back in the day they quoted me $420 for an alignment and suspension check when it clearly states suspension inspections were free. I don't/won't shop there.

Last edited by Chuck-The-Ripper; 04-08-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension Choices