Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension Choices

Old 04-07-2016, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Choices

What is everyone's preference on suspension? I have two reputable business who install... One only deals with Rough Country... The other has various lifts.
I've been looking at 3.5 to 4.5 long arm... Narrowed it down to Terra Flex, Rock Krawler and Roigh Country... Also, the dealer has been trying to talk me into the Rubicon Express....
What are your thoughts on these??
I currently have a RC 2.5 on... Running 315's also.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's simple really.

This is based on my experiences from talking to people who own the lifts, riding/driving vehicles with said lifts, and speaking to customer service reps.

AEV has the best on road manners.
MetalCloak has the best off road manners.
Terraflex and Rock Krawler are close behind.
Rough Country is a bargain lift that will get you where you want to be, but not much further.

Buy nice or buy twice. Build to what you need, not what you want.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Blizz, you really just gave me the push I needed... I was really leaning towards the TF and RK... 4WD is close to my house, so I plan on letting them do my install... Now to just decide between the RK or TF....
Old 04-07-2016, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Try and find a shop other then 4wd to do install they charge like $180.00 for labor that's crazy or do it yourself

Originally Posted by baz0157
Blizz, you really just gave me the push I needed... I was really leaning towards the TF and RK... 4WD is close to my house, so I plan on letting them do my install... Now to just decide between the RK or TF....

Last edited by Antonio5664; 04-07-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do the install yourself. It's something every jeeper should learn AND it saves you money.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I've been looking at 3.5 to 4.5 long arm...
You are looking at long arms, correct?

Read as many different threads as you can find, not just the few replies you will get in this one.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-07-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I made the Mistake of getting a Rough country suspension. First I got rid of the crappy 2.2 Nitro shocks they rode like crap. Then I got AEV shocks way better. Then I got synergy LCA's to correct geometry. It rode way better after that. Then I had to get a Adjustable Track bar.

Honestly I wish I had just got a good kit to begin with. Would have saved me a lot of time on my back working on my Jeep.

I just ordered these today JK 2.5"-4" TeraFlex Tuned Fox Reservoir w/Adjuster Front & Rear Shock Absorber Kit

Since my AEV shocks blew due to incorrect bump stops and me driving it like a race car on the trails.

Take my advice buy a good kit it will save you the headache of trying to build a Mutt lift.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in east Liverpool. I'll install it for 1/2 what 4wd will charge.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I live in east Liverpool. I'll install it for 1/2 what 4wd will charge.
I agree 4WD will charge me way too much to do the install... For one, I don't really have the time the space or tools to do the install... If you can do it and have the time we can meet up and possibly work something out... I own a restaurant in Weirton and don't have a lot of time to do much..
Old 04-08-2016, 05:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would throw out teraflex as they have poor geometry on the rear with short uppers that cause a lot of pinion rotation during articulation. I would not use rough country as the quality of their joints is questionable. Same with Rubicon Express. There are other long arm kits out there like Currie, Clayton, Genright, and Synergy.

Look at the location of the mounts, most will have frame side brackets that hang down and can cause clearance issues. If you can look at install instructions on the different kits to see how much welding and cutting is involved. It is not a stretch to spend more then the kit cost to do the install. Don't attempt to do a long arm in you garage over a day with no tools and no experience cutting and welding. I agree with others about installing and learning about your suspension but if you are asking about different kits like in your op you likely don't have the knowledge and tools to install a long arm kit.

I would agree to look into a custom shop and not 4wd parts as they are decent at installing bolt on kits but not so good when it comes to welding and fabricating. You should still review install instructions of the kit you buy to make sure what you bought was installed right. I have seen several rigs come out of the shop with control arms put on backwards, poor pinion angles, and bump stop/shocks not properly set up.

Quick Reply: Suspension Choices