Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

suspension alteration

Old 01-22-2012, 01:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension alteration

Ok here's the deal I have a 2011 JKU that I bought with a 4.5 RE long arm kit with 35's in the thought of eventually going to 37's. But as of now its loolking like the 37s wont be happening for at least another 2 years. So what I'm thinking of doing is buying 2.5 inch springs daysrtar stingers and some axle restraint straps to get my rig down to nice hieght plus Im thinking the thing should articulate pretty good. it does have aftermarket drive shafts. Can anyone think why this would'nt work any input would be great thanks.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

should be fine since you are adding the limiting straps.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GOBIGRED
Ok here's the deal I have a 2011 JKU that I bought with a 4.5 RE long arm kit with 35's in the thought of eventually going to 37's. But as of now its loolking like the 37s wont be happening for at least another 2 years. So what I'm thinking of doing is buying 2.5 inch springs daysrtar stingers and some axle restraint straps to get my rig down to nice hieght plus Im thinking the thing should articulate pretty good. it does have aftermarket drive shafts. Can anyone think why this would'nt work any input would be great thanks.
assuming that your shocks are made for the 4.5" lift you have now, that will be a problem for you as you will most likely bottom them out with this considerably lower stance. also, assuming you have track bar and steering correction installed for 4.5" of lift, your geometry here will be off and, your axles will shift over quite a bit. also, assuming your brakelines were replaced with something longer, they will loop out too much and can get caught on suspension components or obstacles on the trail. also, assuming you have longer sway bar links installed, they will most likely be too tall.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

I spoke with the tech at RE he said since my kit is fully adjustable I can put a 2.5 spring the only problems he said I would have is possible the shocks thats what the stingers are for he said that should take care of it but might still have to change them. and some way to limit the articulation of the axle wether it be limiting straps or spring retainer top and bottom.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

I spoke with the tech at RE he said since my kit is fully adjustable I can put a 2.5 spring the only problems he said I would have is possible the shocks thats what the stingers are for he said that should take care of it but might still have to change them. and some way to limit the articulation of the axle wether it be limiting straps or spring retainer top and bottom.
LOL!! there's a BIG difference between 4.5" and 2.5" and all the componetns you need to make 4.5" work well. sure, your kit is adjustable but, there are limits as to how much you can adjusts things. but hey, if that what you're being told, what do i know
Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Can we try and not be childish about this it seems like every forum I go to its the same old
sh!t. Im try to get some answers to help me. I was also just telling you what I was told by RE Im not try to argue with anyone if you could just explain your resoning with out the attituded that would be nice. In my eyes and from looking at my kit I personaly dont see why 2 inchs is that much to make up in the geometry. but then again im no expert just a little help would be nice.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Can we try and not be childish about this it seems like every forum I go to its the same old
sh!t. Im try to get some answers to help me. I was also just telling you what I was told by RE Im not try to argue with anyone if you could just explain your resoning with out the attituded that would be nice. In my eyes and from looking at my kit I personaly dont see why 2 inchs is that much to make up in the geometry. but then again im no expert just a little help would be nice.
seriously??

you'll forgive me but, I DID provide very specific answers and even took the time to explain them. but, like i said, if that what you're being told by RE, what do i know. you seem determined to think things will work out and so, you should just do it. no attitude here, just pointing out the facts. good luck to you.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Install the springs and make the adjustments to your control arms and track bars. If you have bump stops for a 4.5" lift then you are fine.

Quick Reply: suspension alteration