Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension advice

Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension advice

I lifted my jeep 5" and it rode fine in Virginia. The highways were smooth and I could adjust to the stiff suspension. I recently relocated to Puerto Rico for two years and have been driving my JK around. The roads are not maintained here with hole after pot hole after ditch, etc. driving between 45-70 mph are unbearable with the Jeep actually loosening suspension parts.

Is there a way to smooth out a lifted jeep on the highway? I tried airing down my tires like some suggested however that caused death wobble (Maybe its only certain tire manufactures). Could long control arms make a difference? Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Old 08-02-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GIJK
I lifted my jeep 5" and it rode fine in Virginia. The highways were smooth and I could adjust to the stiff suspension. I recently relocated to Puerto Rico for two years and have been driving my JK around. The roads are not maintained here with hole after pot hole after ditch, etc. driving between 45-70 mph are unbearable with the Jeep actually loosening suspension parts.

Is there a way to smooth out a lifted jeep on the highway? I tried airing down my tires like some suggested however that caused death wobble (Maybe its only certain tire manufactures). Could long control arms make a difference? Any suggestions greatly appreciated
I've never heard of getting death wobble from airing down, but yes if you have stock control arms I would recommend getting front lower adjustable arms
Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

What lift is it? Springs and shocks have a large bearing on how the ride is. You may want to look at a set of Bilsteins or even reservoir shocks if the roads are that bad
Old 08-02-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going with a long arm will deffinatly soften the ride for the highway use by allowing more articulation of the suspension. Also the off road capabilities are reall nice too if you end up looking for long arms check clayton offroad or teraflex they both have nice setups. Also getting a self adjustable shock, the cost is a little high on most but you can custom tume your ride.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A quality long arm kit will make a nice improvement in your ride quality. Any long arm kit alone will flatten out the angles. So also look into the type of bushings they use, the type of flex joints, how long these actual long arms are and their mounting points.

We sell an upgrade kit, and also a front half only. The complete system works best front and rear, onroad, offroad, climbing ability and flex. But as far as bang for your buck you can start with the front, and you will see a huge onroad improvement.

JK Long Arm Upgrade Kit

JK Front Long Arm Upgrade Kit

Good luck.

Adam
Clayton Off Road Inc.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions. I have all skyjacker but if a different manufactures shocks and long arms will make a difference in ride quality I'm all for it.

Quick Reply: Suspension advice