Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

SURF RACKS (pictures & ideas wanted)

Old 09-04-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SURF RACKS (pictures & ideas wanted)

I’m interested to see how you guys get your boards to the beach.

I don’t have a hard top, and need something better than folding my seats down, pealing off my duster and hanging my board out the back, and I’d like to not go with the strap on “soft-racks”.

This is the exact set up of my jeep (other jeep pictured)

I’m thinking of a windshield light bar for the front half of the rack, but would need some ideas for the back part of the rack. Preferably something on the roll bar right before it slants down to the rear fenders. something that would still be there if the bikini were taken off. I have seen some stuff mounted to the rear tire, or the tow hitch, but would like access to my trunk with the board on there.

Thanks in advance for all the photos and ideas
Old 09-04-2011, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Honestly this may be your best bet, easy to remove:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12138_006_07.htm

It will be tough trying to find a rear bar that mounts to the roll bars, never really seen it done. I know there is a metal bar that runs in the middle of the rear sound bars that you could possibly do something with, but not totally sure.

On a side not, I know this is another picture of a jeep but you did state you were running the same set up, was it easy to run that windjammer? I believe it it made for 2 doors, but i know some can get it to work on the JKs. Its a good look and I want to do the same!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

I am pumped on the look of the set up, but it’s not the most realistic for quick or often removals.... I found a few ways to make it work better and added them to what other guys said.... I have a full break down with photos of what I did here.....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-door)./page11
Old 09-04-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't done it yet but I was thinking Thule or Yakima (which I have for my skis), attaching a bracket http://www.backcountryracks.com/yaki...cket-8002.html to the roll cage, and attach the bases and crossbars. Thule has the same kind of bracket. You could use Nutserts to connect the bracket, welding would be a lot more solid.

The best part about the this type of system would be Thule / Yakima have about a million configurations / accessories and the two companies are pretty compatible.

Last edited by Jollydodger; 09-04-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Have you tried (or heard anyone who has used) this rack from Yakima on their JK?

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima...roof-rack.html

I'm likely going to order it and see if it fits, but I can't believe there is much difference in the width from an 06 to an '11 JK. So far this looks like the best option I have found, without adding the bolt on cage.

-DP
Old 03-06-2012, 11:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default Nice...

Originally Posted by DanoPhelps
Have you tried (or heard anyone who has used) this rack from Yakima on their JK?

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima...roof-rack.html

I'm likely going to order it and see if it fits, but I can't believe there is much difference in the width from an 06 to an '11 JK. So far this looks like the best option I have found, without adding the bolt on cage.

-DP
I'm liking that rail grab setup...Let me know if it works on your '11 as I'm looking for the similar solution for my '11 Rubi 4dr. Keep me posted!!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:26 AM
JK Super Freak

The Warrior Watercraft Rack would work. I bought one for my longboard at the end of summer. I haven't installed it yet and I may be willing to part with it. PM me if interested.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12031_872_07.htm
Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

I bought one of the "Wrap Rax Doubles" for surfboards by a company called Blocksurf. It is detachable, so there are pro's and con's to it.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Soon as it warms up ill snap a pic before i head out.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you always rock the duster?

Just asking because you could get a light bar for the front and them have a rear rack fabbed to mount off your rear bumper, slopped to match your rollbar angle, get to the top to where it matches your front light bar, and then match the passengerside, connect across the so they are connected, then run some pieces connecting the rear to the front.

Mind you i made this in 3 minutes on Paint haha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	board.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	286173  

Last edited by RedOffRoad; 03-07-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply: SURF RACKS (pictures & ideas wanted)