Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Surco safari rack

Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eumel789
Just use a lower basket or even just cross bars! You can buy the bars by themselfs.
Do you think i could put yakima products if i leave just the cross bars?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 PM
JK Newbie

For the guys that have the rack how has it held up? Any rubbing issues in the top or paint? Looking at getting this for a 5000 mile road trip and don't want to damage the painted hardtop on my Sahara.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone used this rack mounting system with the crossbars to mount a roof top tent?
Old 08-16-2014, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KlausVanwinkle
Has anyone used this rack mounting system with the crossbars to mount a roof top tent?
i wouldn't do it. Quadratec has a nice pretty picture of it on their website with a full size spare, hilift, shovel, axe, and two large containers....rack only has 150lbs rating!!

I'd rather save the $500 this thing costs and get a good soft sided bag and strap it to the top. The straps can come right inside between the door frame and top and secure it to the roll bars.

There is a reason most racks are $900+. Those that are, usually have a load rating while driving 300lbs+ and static load 2x~3x this amount.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Most won't rate their racks above the stock racks recommended capacity. Usually around 150lbs. This is usually more about handling dynamics than actual load handling.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Gobi 300lbs driving + option 150lbs extension. 800lbs static Out4x4 Heavy Hauler 265lbs driving Body Armor 350lbs driving. 750lbs+ static KargoMaster 500lbs driving All specs were either direct from the manufacturer or retailer and taken from a forum.

PS Didn't know the JK had a "stock" option for which ratings could be based on Klaus.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Surco safari rack

Originally Posted by CerOf
Gobi 300lbs driving + option 150lbs extension. 800lbs static Out4x4 Heavy Hauler 265lbs driving Body Armor 350lbs driving. 750lbs+ static KargoMaster 500lbs driving All specs were either direct from the manufacturer or retailer and taken from a forum.

PS Didn't know the JK had a "stock" option for which ratings could be based on Klaus.
I'm talking about other SUVs without removable tops. My point is that the weight ratings from OEM manufacturers take into account driving dynamics not just sheer strength. I've seen guys literally put 1000lbs + on their land cruisers aftermarket racks. The truck and rack could handle the weight. But that's a very dangerous way to drive.

Anyway, I wouldn't put a rtt on top of the basket. I was planning to use the surco mounts with crossbars and a high-end, flat aluminum extrusion platform. It seems stronger than mounting just to the plastic hard top. And it's nice that it's removeable. Just the mounts are $150.

I might order some and see how they are and send them back if they're crap.

Last edited by KlausVanwinkle; 09-03-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default Surco rack is nice for lighter loads in my 2 door.

Fence wire painted black secured with zip ties made a nice floor for my rack.

Quick Reply: Surco safari rack