Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superwinch Talon series?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superwinch Talon series?

Anyone have experience with these winches? Found a good deal and I am thinking about getting the 9.5sr or possibly the 12sr. Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Superwinch (not talon)... I am very happy with it and would buy another one. EPI9000s
Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 PM
JK Junkie

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9452.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	359603

I have the super winch EPi9.S , which is the winch that got replaced by the Superwinch Talon 9.5i. Great winch, submersible and reliable so glad i bought it.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine off Amazon for under $900 shipped with a trial for amazon prime. I picked the 12.5i sr. It was only like $50 more than the 9.5 so I didn't see much reason not to go big.

It is a hair wider than the ACE stubby with a stinger wanted to fit so I shimmed it up 3/8" with aluminum strips. I think they designed theirs for the Warn which must be a little shorter. Install other wise was a breeze. Bolt it down, connect pos and neg to the battery, spool up the rope and you are done. Getting the rope through the drum was a pain but once I rewrapped the end tightly with electrical tape it went through.

I would also suggest getting the Viking Safety Thimble and ditch the hook. You can run it back to the fairlead to secure it without shackling to a d ring. It is also much safer as the rope goes around the thimble so if it breaks it is less likely to fire heavy shrapnel through the air.

The same night I installed it I got a call from a buddy. He was trying to pull a Compass out of the mud in a retention basin and ended up getting his LJ stuck in the process. I came out and pulled him sideways onto dry ground then did the same with the Compass. The winch never really slowed down. In the next week I pulled a TJ off some rocks and a YJ 20ft up a mountain so he could fix a tire. The only problem I had was being on wet loose dirt the winch started pulling me to him. Strapped another jeep to my bumper and got him to safe ground.

It has great speed and plenty of power. If you've seen One Car Too Far and got past the staged drama you will notice they are running a Superwinch in some pretty horrible conditions.

Here's that YJ on my line. We kept him on while he changed the tire since he had to use a hi-lift. It held him stable and never slipped an inch.

Name:	image-3753843957.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	359620

Name:	image-484591836.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	359621
Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. Couple more questions for everyone if thats cool. What are your feelings about the 9.5sr vs the 12.5sr? Is the 12.5 overkill for a JKU? The price difference is only 16 bucks so I figure why not right? Also what about remote solenoid vs integrated solenoid? Besides the looks is there any difference? Thanks again
Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 AM
JK Freak

I'm speculating but I would think the 12.5 would be better as a lesser winch would be taxed heavier on a pull causing it to heat up faster. The only drawback I see would be more weight but the difference is only 3 lbs.

As far as the solenoid, I never fully understood the difference but the shape on the i model fit better under a stinger and blocked some of the line from direct sunlight.

With a remote solenoid you can chose where to mount it but the Superwinch has it on the passenger side of the winch where it doesn't save space and the cable runs from the wrong side in my opinion where the i version it comes out the driver side. I'm not sure if it can be mounted elsewhere or if it is permanent there.

Both Superwinch and Viking have a lot of links to great write ups on safe winch use and other info. I learned a lot reading it.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bumper I just bought can support 12,000 pounds. I'll be getting a 9500 winch because I would never want the damage the bumper. I would rather the winch stop pulling first.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I have a Talon 9.5 iSR. It is a very good and fast winch. I use it on my jku and it pulls it great. It is a wide winch though, wider than the epi9.0. This is the most waterproof winch you can buy, and has a great warranty. I would recommend getting a cover for it to protect the rope
Old 08-29-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

What cover are you using?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi

Love my epi 9.0s as well. Great winch

Name:	ForumRunner_20120829_152429.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	65.3 KB