Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superlift help

Old 12-06-2008, 06:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the cambolts are installed already, will I run into any problems?
Old 12-06-2008, 06:44 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kntr
Since the cambolts are installed already, will I run into any problems?
if you have cam bolts installed, you should be able to add more postitive caster now and i'm surprised that the company who installed your kit didn't do it already. of course, if your jeep use to drive better and now seems to be driving worse, it could be that your cam bolts have loosened up a bit and are now shifting around in the slots that were created in your lower control arm axle mounts in order to make them work. in any case, being that you already have cam bolts installed, i would just try to use them to add more positive caster and then double check to make sure the bolts get tightend back up to 125 ft. bls. of torque with the weight of your jeep on the ground. even if you got new lower control arms, the most adjustment you would want to make is about what your cam bolts can do now. and, if you're determined to do things right and ditch the cam bolts, you should try to have the mounting holes returned back to a stock configuration. a welding shop should be able to weld on some washers to seal up the slots on your lower control arm mounts.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm driving at 6degrees of caster in the frt. Adj the teraflex lowers to 23 1/4 inches as recommended, handles way better on bumpy roads and doesn't follow grooves like your describing. I'd follow WOL's advice and go ahead and get your mounts fixed so you can run adj arms and not worry about the cambolts anymore. If you install adj arms in slotted mounts your gonna run into the problem of those bolts moving and end up with the same prob. Good luck on your fix, whatever you decide.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Junkie

Its always driven like this. I took it back to AEV after it was first done and they said everything was fine. Im going to call them Monday and see what they say. Dave seems to think cams are fine. The new AEV lift only comes with cams.

The steering wheel goes side to side on any big bumps.
It follows every groove in the road and is actually dangerous if you are not paying attention.
When I press on the brakes, it follows the grooves in the road too.

It drives great on good smooth roads.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Its always driven like this. I took it back to AEV after it was first done and they said everything was fine. Im going to call them Monday and see what they say. Dave seems to think cams are fine. The new AEV lift only comes with cams.
well, inspite of what they seem to think, do you think your jeep drives fine?

The steering wheel goes side to side on any big bumps.
It follows every groove in the road and is actually dangerous if you are not paying attention.
When I press on the brakes, it follows the grooves in the road too.
is it safe to assume that you do not have a dropped pitman arm and track bar relocation bracket installed? without them, you will have issues with bump steer on a jeep that is lifted 4" or more. based on what i'm hearing from you, that as well as tracking issues is what you have now. also, i am curious to know what your caster is set at. shallow caster won't help much here either.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Junkie

No I dont think it drives fine.

I have the standard Superlift that AEV does. I went to AEV because I thought they were suppose to be pretty good.

----------Kit includes--------

Front Springs

Rear Springs

Front Bilstein Shocks

Rear Bilstein Shocks

Adjustable Front Track Bar

Rear Track Bar Bracket

Front Cam Bolts

Front Brake Hose Brackets

Rear Brake Hose Brackets

Extended Front Bump Stops

Extended Rear Bump Stops

Front Bump Stop Spacers

Rear Bump Stop Spacers

Anti-Sway Bar Links

Last edited by kntr; 12-06-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:53 PM
JK-Forum Founder

No I dont think it drives fine.

I have the standard Superlift that AEV does.
unfortunately, i don't think superlift offered their 4" lift with a dropped pitman arm or track bar relocation bracket like they should have. and, the last time i looked on their website, i couldn't even find a 4" lift listed anymore. anyway, both will help out a lot as well as a caster setting that is closer to being +6°. while cam bolts are far from being a good solution, they should allow you to set your caster to being closer to this setting.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Junkie

So to do it correctly I need.

Drop pitman
Lower front control arms
Front Tracbar bracket

This is the only pic I have of the front.

Last edited by kntr; 12-06-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:07 PM
JK-Forum Founder

So to do it correctly I need.

Drop pitman
Lower front control arms
actually, you can only install a dropped pitman arm if you install a track bar relocation bracket at the same time. it is important to keep your track bar and drag link parallel to each other. once both are more parallel to your axle like they were stock, you should have a lot less bump steer.

as far as control arms go, installing a set will allow you to set your caster and they will allow for much better flex on the trail but, you should be able to set your caster with the cam bolts you have on now. if you are asking me what i would do on my jeep, i would go with the control arms as i have never been a fan of cam bolts.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:12 PM
JK Junkie

Will my front tracbar work with a new bracket. Which bracket do you reccommend?

I edited the above post and added a few things. Please reread.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by kntr; 12-06-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Superlift help